Monday, July 23, 2012

Today I helped a worm.

I have a little story to tell.  I was taking my sometimes-daily walk around the neighborhood.  It was a typical July morning, 90 degrees and 50% humidity.  I was enjoying the crepe myrtle and watching the sidewalk in front of me to avoid uneven steps and protruding bushes when I happened by a worm.  This isn't the first worm I've encountered while walking, but I noticed this worm struggling courageously to cross the baking pavement to return to it's earthly purpose of aerating the soil.  It caused my heart to hurt a little as I walked past.  In a moment of compassion the thought occurred to me, "I should give that worm a boost."  The usual talking-myself-out-of-a good-idea ensued until I realized leaving the worm to suffer would bring me a little pain.  Giving aid to the worm would bring me a little joy.  I wondered if there were any observers peering out their window as I turned in my tracks, grabbed a pine needle and flicked the worm across the deadly concrete to the green covered earth.  I was back on my way in 45 seconds.  As I finished my familiar route I reflected on any life parallels that might apply to the experience.  The compassion I felt for the worm was small but real and would have manifest itself for any sincere being in need.  I wondered if that was a small window to the character of the love of God.  Because He is love we can trust that he will  help us as we struggle to live and do good.  No matter how unattractive or undeserving we feel He cannot cease to be God and cannot cease to love us and feel compassion for us.  

No comments: