Monday, June 17, 2013

Happy Fruit Punch Day

It's Fruit Punch Day everyone!  Fruit Punch Day has it's humble roots in Morgantown, WV on June 17, probably around 2008. It has grown into the wonderful holiday it is today in 6 short years.  If you're not celebrating, you might want to reconsider.

It all began one morning when little Miss Rebecca Stoker awoke from her night's sleep and asked, "Is today fruit punch day?"  Apparently it was in her dream, so we decided, why not?   She invited a friend over and they drank fruit punch and played.  The next year Rebecca asked, "What are we going to do for Fruit Punch Day?"  Since I had all but forgotten this celebration, I was unprepared for the question. But Rebecca enlisted her sister, who invited a friend, and they dressed up, cup-stacked fruit punch colored cups, drank fruit punch, and as I recall, went fruit punch or treating at the neighbor's house. These were good neighbors, so even though they were confused, they invited the holiday revelers in to help celebrate.

The next Fruit Punch Day celebration that I recall was the summer after Eliza went to BYU.  She had mentioned to the boy she eventually married that June 17th was Fruit Punch Day.  He took the celebration up a notch by surprising her with a visit from Washington DC and giving her a book with a note that went something like this:  "Happy Fruit Punch Day.  I've never celebrated it before so I'm not sure what the traditions are but there probably should be gifts."  That and tie-dying t-shirts made that day the best Fruit Punch Day yet.

Last year we were at a Miller family reunion in Surfside, TX.  Not everyone knew that it was Fruit Punch Day, but we were with many loved ones making fantastic memories and some of those loved ones drank Fruit Punch. Another successful celebration.

Today I'm spending  my first Fruit Punch Day without the founder.  I made lemonade for the boys and said "Happy Fruit Punch Day," but it was lacking a little in the celebratory department.  Miss Rebecca should be home tonight, we'll try to add a little heart to this special day.  I do feel good knowing that she was with her beloved cousins this morning, and Eliza's husband remembered the day with a gift for his girl...a book.

So the Fruit Punch Day traditions so far are: 1. Drink fruit punch (preferably in a red cup)  2. Be with people you love. (It's best if they visit from far away.)  3. Give a gift from the heart.  (optional)  4. Wearing red is a good idea.  5. Do a fun activity  6. Don't forget.

And guess what else?  This is my 100th blog post.  woo hoo

1 comment:

Kim said...

Your family is so fun! I can hardly stand it!