When I attended his brother's graduation this summer I realized everyone should "walk." For one thing, we listened to some fabulously motivating speeches. One speaker quoted President Kennedy when he said, "We don't choose to climb the highest mountain because it's easy, but because it's hard. It best tests and develops our skills and ability." Other quotes I noted were "Do hard things in the short term to have success in the long term." "The best ideas come from listening to people on the front lines." Sam Walton and these 4 ideas on leadership: "1. Aspire to lead. 2. Earn the right to sit at the table--by sitting at the servant seat. 3. Stay humble and use whatever power you attain to help others. 4. Lead by serving. Bring out the best in the people around you"
The other thing is that we all need to stop and celebrate accomplishments and milestones in life. Otherwise we just go from one worry to another: "I have a test/research paper/project due aaahhhhhhh!" " I need a job/acceptance into a graduate program aaaahhhhhhh! Let's all take a moment to say, "You fought the good fight. You perservered and didn't give up. That certificate is yours and no one can take it from you. You win! Nice work! We're so proud of you." When the speaker said, "Congratulations Cougars!" at BYU grad, I got tears in my eyes and thought, "You're darn straight." These kids have worked hard for a long time on an important goal. Yayyyyyyy!" If we don't stop and mark the event we may not know that something awesome just happened.
Last week my 31 year old son texted me and casually invited me to his Airbourne graduation. He meant it when he said, "If you want to see airborne graduation (which is no big deal, but could be fun.) Friday at 9 am at Fort Benning." I casually started looking at my calendar because it was no big deal. I had a meeting scheduled, and it was a two hour drive to Ft. Benning, but I might be able to make it. As I thought about it though, I realized I wanted to be there. I got a sub for the meeting. In the coming days my son texted directions and this little message, "Feel free to pin my wings on." I know he would have been fine having his wings pinned on by one of the airbourne guys, but when they announced, "Loved ones can now come forward and pin the wings on their paratroopers," I was really glad that this loved one was at that ceremony and not at my meeting in Fayetteville. It may have only been a 3 week course, but it was a big deal to me. And how else would I have known if I hadn't gone to graduation?
| One thing I liked about this ceremony is that the candidates ran to their position to receive their awards instead of walking slowly. This seems like efficiency genius. |
So if someone you love is graduating from something, get there. You'll be glad you did.

1 comment:
Thanks for the advice. Laurie you're a crack up. I am totally sold on this idea.
Post a Comment