The day Peter was born was a pretty big deal for lots of reasons: 1. He was a twin. 2. He was an almost 7 pound twin. 3. He was the first boy born to the Miller family who had 6 girls, then Carrie and then Peter. 4. He was born on the night my Dad got elected to the school board. 5. Since my uncle had died before marriage my Dad carried the Miller name, and he could finally relax knowing the name wouldn't stop with his generation. Since they had waited so long for a boy they named him the name of his forebears, Hans Peter Robert, after my great grandfather, his father, and my father.
 |
| Melinda, Dad, Me, Pete, Heidi |
 |
| Helper Pete and Baby Charlie |
Twins turned our world upside down in a good way. We needed all hands on deck to take care of these babies. Pete had colic so he cried and threw up a lot. I was the oldest so I was usually in charge of him. Susie was in charge of Carrie and Heidi. Mrs. Azevedo came a few mornings a week to rock babies and fold diapers. Eventually we graduated to Paula Tafoya coming on Friday so Mom and Dad could go on a date. Their date started at about 11:00 am. Fridays were wonderful. We knew there would be Chile Verde and home-made tortillas for dinner. Mrs. Solis came to clean periodically. She moved through the house that looked like a whirlwind had hit (or a lot of kids) and left sparkling order in her wake. She was very sweet to us, although that order came from her discerning and disposing of what we thought were treasures, but what she knew were...well, not treasures. Peter had an owl talon in a little box that he was saving in his room. She started when she discovered that one, not a treasure.
 |
| Mary, Melinda, Heidi, Pete, Susie |
 |
| Mom, Dad and Pete |
Peter had the typical childhood of a boy with lots of big sisters. He wanted to be included, but not necessarily in girl activities so engaged by bugging. He was always rewarded for his bugging with lots of reaction so why stop? I was about 15 when he was born and was excited to finally have a brother. I dragged the twins along with me and my friends. They were cute and made lots of activities more fun.
 |
| Carrie and Peter |
When I came home from college one summer I rode to town with Peter to go to the store to buy candy. I wanted us to be friends. He says he doesn't remember that so I have to keep reminding him so he can think what a nice big sister I was. At Christmas he gave me a pretty necklace that made me feel special.
 |
| Add caption |
Peter loved playing football, did not enjoy performing and practically refused to get involved in our talent shows and programs. He went to BYU, served a mission in Quebec, served as Vice President of BYU and after he graduated went on to accept a job at Merrill Lynch.
 |
| Pete, Jacob, Me, Andrew, Brandon |
Somewhere in between those things, Peter did something big that was a great blessing to our family. Before Sam had his brain tumor, Dad suffered from kidney failure. He had been on dialysis for a couple of years. He was on a list for a kidney transplant and getting close to needing that to happen. Peter came forward as a donor and was found to be a good match. He was young with his life ahead of him. Thank you brother for saving our dad. I know it was painful. I honor you for your courage.
We haven't seen Peter much in the past few years. I pray for his success and have appreciated the short visits we've had. Remember, Pete, you'll always be our brother, and you owe me a lunch date. I love you.
1 comment:
Thank you so much for sharing your beautiful stories. I went to school with both Pete and Carrie. So many great memories with both of them. Send my howdy do's to Peter. It's been years.
Post a Comment