Saturday, May 24, 2014

Is it too late to talk about Mother's Day

So, around here, Mother's Day can be a little dangerous.  My emotions are running about as high as my expectations. My heart is full of gratitude for my mother and children, but there's the depressing realization that I have a long way to go in my motherhood skills and I've already got 7 kids out running wild and free in society.  One wonders, who would step into that? Well, the winners for bravest children are Daniel and Andrew. They rolled in for the weekend and made it great for me.

 For the record, if a child sends a heartfelt note, I'm more than pleased. If they really want to get on my good side, add food to the note, and if anyone insists on giving a gift, a pedicure is always perfect.  My husband gave me a pedicure and made rolls and dinner, Daniel made his fantastic Italian bread and brought grandchildren to play with, Rebecca made me a hundred cookies and Andrew cleaned the kitchen and sang me a song.

 I heard from all of my kids in one sweet way or another so I was happy and everyone was safe.






 It was a treat to have Daniel drive over. His wife, Erica, was visiting her graduating sister and family, so he packed, loaded, and drove his 2 little boys what was supposed to be close to 4 but seemed strangely closer to 3 hours from Savannah to Atlanta.

We played Perplexus, Epic Duels, Rat a Tat Cat, Stratego and Nerf . We ate watermelon, which Caleb claims we always have, ice cream, and regular food.






Grandpa: "Who wants ice cream?"


Speaking of polite, which we may not have been, Daniel and Erica's children are very polite. Makes a Grandma proud. Caleb made me this adorable Mother's Day card. xoxoxox


 For some reason, little 2 yr. old did not sleep very well. I heard him once and came down to find his Daddy rocking him in the rocking chair at 2:00 am. That was a very tender picture for me, seeing my child loving his child. The next day, Daniel didn't even seem grouchy. Seeing what a good Dad he has become is a wonderful gift.

However, the lack of sleep took it's toll on 2 yr. old. He had been very reasonable the day before, but was not tolerating us as well with inadequate rest. I hope he didn't mind that we kind of thought it was funny when he punished us for getting on his bad side. I think he felt better after eating a couple of  Mother's Day cookies.




I love my mother. I love being a mother, and I love being a grandmother.

Andrew, happy to be back to home-cooked meals.

2 comments:

Kim said...

Awe...you're one of the best moms I know!

Rachel said...

You are awesome Laurie! I love reading your posts. You always have something meaningful and touching as well as something that cracks me up.