Today I had a list. One of the items on this list was "Add Lucy Jane to my family tree." I just went to lds.org, clicked on resources, then Family Search then Family Tree. Out popped my beautiful page of ancestors and posterity. I went to Aaron and Clarissa and clicked on "add child" I typed in little Lucy's deets and poof! there she was. In that moment I got teary as I comprehended our family and eternity. There was this new little person that wasn't there a few days ago who would likely grow to marry and have children of her own (my great-grandchildren) and they would all be mine forever.
Monday evening, Lucy's dad called to say he was on his way to the hospital. The Dr. was inducing my son's beautiful wife, and their baby would be born shortly. His voice choked a little and and I joined him with emotion of my own. We both knew something amazing was about to happen with eternal consequences. It would involve considerable sacrifice on the part of his wife, and it's always a miracle when a baby is born healthy, but a child is a blessing no matter what the circumstances. Any way you look at it, it's a big deal.
I kept my phone close and dreamed of Lucy all night. I didn't want to bother them but could have called every 30 minutes. I restrained myself. Tues. morning I got a progress report, "Water broke. Dilated to 6." Not done yet. I kept praying. Thirty minutes later she was ready to deliver and I waited and waited and waited. In real time it might have been an hour, but you know how it is. Every thing went well and Little Minute was healthy and strong even if she didn't weigh much.
I suppose this scenario is being played out in thousands, if not more, hospitals in the country but I'm only beginning to understand the implication of new life. I thought I knew when I became a mother, but I'm realizing, our family is the start of something big. If we fill it with love, it will fill the world with goodness.
I did my part. I had some children, and now they're blessing my life with who they are and adding some excellent new people for me to love. So thanks to all the people who are having children and teaching them and loving them and raising them right. They are making our world a better place. Thanks to my great-great-great-great grandmother and my even-more-greats-than-that-grandmother and all my other greats for having children. Because of you and your life, I was born. And we're family, and our family will keep growing for eternity. And some day we'll meet, and we'll tell each other stories, and I can't wait to introduce you to some really fantastic new people, my grandchildren.
Labels
Children
(88)
Happy Birthday
(46)
For Moms
(39)
Grandchildren
(38)
Siblings
(32)
Holiday
(22)
Family History
(21)
2013
(20)
Inspirational
(19)
Robert Miller
(19)
2015
(16)
Janet Miner
(16)
2020
(15)
2016
(14)
2014
(13)
music
(12)
2012
(9)
Subbing
(9)
2017
(7)
2019
(7)
2018
(5)
Christmas
(5)
Neices and Nephews
(5)
garden
(5)
2022
(4)
My childhood
(4)
nieces and nephews
(4)
Graduation
(3)
Ila Casto
(3)
Mother's Day
(3)
Wedding
(3)
2021
(2)
Aaron
(2)
Book List
(2)
Children 2014
(2)
Don Stoker
(2)
Gabe Stoker
(2)
Janus Miller
(2)
Manly program
(2)
Paul Stoker
(2)
Book review
(1)
Caroline Margaret Larsen
(1)
Christina Gregerson
(1)
Covid-19
(1)
Hans Peter Hansen Miller
(1)
Jeanne Wallace
(1)
Marriage
(1)
Portland
(1)
Sam
(1)
San Diego
(1)
Stoker nieces and nephews
(1)
Stoker siblings
(1)
Tamma Murfee Miner
(1)
Thanksgiving
(1)
Thoughts
(1)
Vernon Fawson
(1)
You know you're a Miller
(1)
parents
(1)
recipes
(1)



1 comment:
Laurie, Just a few weeks ago, I was blessed with a new grandbaby: Lucy Magdalene! She bears my middle name and my mother's first name. You have such a wonderful way of expressing thoughts about the importance of family. Thanks for sharing!
Post a Comment