Well, it's time. It's time to start the party. Bring out the cheer and the gladness and joy. Hang the stockings, sing the carols, and give the gifts, the good gifts, the gifts that last and bless and warm the heart. That's my desire anyway, although I've come to know that good gift giving is an art that needs to be developed.
I'm always on the lookout for good gifts, and they can be found in surprising places. My friend told of a morning spent in the busy post office. In an effort to remain positive and eliminate any irritation that might creep into her thoughts as she stood in line with not a few others, she commented to the person next to her, "Isn't it great to live in America where we have a postal service that delivers our mail in a dependable and safe manner?" Her line buddy smiled, "Ma'am, it really made my day to hear you say that. I'm a retired postal worker." Gift given.
I was in the home of a successful educated woman who had served as a colonel in the Air Force. She told of her mother who raised 4 children on a cook's wages. One of the experiences this grown daughter remembers was walking to school with her mother in first grade. They were poor and walked by a certain building every day. The young girl told her mother that someone at school said that if they went into that building they would be given food and clothing. The mother replied, "We will never go into that building. We will live on what we earn. If I take you into that building then you will take your children into that building." This gift of courage and self sufficiency blessed these children as they all gained college educations and went into life with the confidence that they could support themselves.
Every week in church we have 3 meetings. We start with Sacrament meeting where families all sit together. Then the children go to Primary and I go with them to play the piano. The adults and youth go to their respective meetings. The last hour is divided further with the men and women meeting in their own groups. I finish with the children about 20 minutes before church ends so I can join the women for the last few minutes. Last Sunday there were only about 12 minutes left, and I wondered if I should risk disrupting the class with my entrance or just wait in the hall. I chose to sneak in and listen. They were discussing the role of women and the impact we can have on people's lives. The teacher commented that when she started asking the Lord what he wanted her to do instead of telling Him what she was willing to do, that's when she started to feel happy and at peace. Something to think about.
Then another wonderful woman made a comment, "We need to be flexible. I worked for 35 years. When I retired I told myself that I would finally relax. I would watch a movie everyday. And then I got a phone call. My great grandson was in the NICU. He was in bad shape and his parents were in no position to take care of him. When I saw him I said, 'Fight little buddy, and I'll take care of you.' He survived and has been with us for 7 wonderful years. Now we have his little sister. She sleeps in a crib by my bed. The other night she put her little hand through her crib rails and said, 'Mama? hand.' She's a handful, but brings so much joy. I'll care for her 'til the day I die." That's what good gift giving looks like.
It looks like sacrifice and love, and putting other people's needs before our own and sharing smiles and time and being grateful. Howard W. Hunter encouraged, "This Christmas, mend a quarrel. Seek out a forgotten friend, Dismiss suspicion and replace it with trust. Write a letter. Give a soft answer. Encourage youth. Manifest your loyalty in word and deed. Keep a promise. Forgo a grudge. Forgive an enemy. Apologize. Try to understand. Examine your demands on others. Think first of someone else. Be kind. Be gently. Laugh a little more. Express your gratitude. Welcome a stranger. Gladden the heart of a child. Take pleasure in the beauty and wonder of the earth. Speak your love and then speak it again."
Let the celebration begin.
No comments:
Post a Comment