Friday, January 30, 2015

Tales from the subbing front

A few months ago I went through the traumatic process of becoming a substitute teacher. (Drama alert) I mean, I had to fill out all these documents and order transcripts and come to terms with the fact that my college GPA was nothing to brag about. Then I had to get references by supervisors (do they mean children?) And  because my chosen career has been stay-at-home, I always feel a little misrepresented as I report my most recent employment as working in the BYU admissions office in 1980. It's not that I haven't been busy these past 35 years. I just haven't been compensated in cash. It's been more of an eternal reward.  After a few glitches, including having fingerprints that were too light to generate a computer background check, I was finally brought on board.

I was open to advice and suggestions in preparing for my first gig.  From other teachers I heard "Be friendly but firm," "Learn the names of the tricky students," "Walk around and let them know you're watching them." "Greet students at the door," "Don't ruin their day, let them feel loved." From kids I was told, "The sub is the Grandma, the teacher is the parent. Be nice." "Don't talk to them when they're trying to get their work done." "Don't try to make them work when they're supposed to watch a movie," and this great tip from Gabe,"Don't pass out the papers wrong. That's so annoying."

Luckily, I didn't have time to worry about my first job. After seminary, my friend walked in and said, "I'm going to call and see if subfinder needs anyone." I quickly added, "Ask for me too."  There were 3 jobs available. My friend hooked me up with the easiest one since it was my first day, and I was off. It was such a gentle beginning. I filled in for a teacher who was filling in for someone next door. I had a helper in the room. It was special ed so there were never more than 5 students. And I got to eat lunch with a little guy who's Grandma goes to my church. He smiled and his eyes twinkled and we sang together. Just a bit of heaven in the middle of the day.

The next day was more challenging. I signed up to fill in for a high school English teacher. As I drove up to the school I wondered, frankly, "What I was thinking?" You know how terrifying it is to go to a place you've never been before. Where do I park, heck, where's the front door? I took a big risk and parked in stall 120 (I hope it didn't belong to someone,) went to what looked like the door and read the "Doors locked" signs, walked a long ways away in the frigid GA morning air, (I'll bet it was 50 degrees that morning,) and was saved by a passing teacher who let me in an illegal entrance and walked me to the right place. I awkwardly signed in on the computer (Every computer is different so it always starts with me looking like I've never touched a mouse before,) and reported to the registrar. I thought I was asking good questions, but she told me to read the folder. No, you do not send attendance to the office after 1st period. I grabbed my folder and started heading "past the cafeteria then right and up the stairs." What stairs? Heavenly Father is kind and a boy from church walked by at that moment. I asked him where the stairs were, and he set me straight.

I walked into AP English and saw right away that this was a cool teacher. She had music playing and she was bantering cheerfully with her students. They saw the sub and realized their day wasn't going to be as great as they thought. The teacher gave me good instructions and plans and then she was off. I used my friendly but firm voice to direct the students, and then I quit talking so they could work. As they finished their work they pulled out their cell phones.  I actually can't stand cell phones in the classroom, but knew this was a technology school so put my Grandma hat on and didn't say a word.  When they started their next assignment I took time to read my folder.The last page said, "No technology used with substitutes." Oh well, better luck next time.

My next hour was helping out with the band. I love music so was looking forward to this. I was the assistant sub, so I figured my job was to watch the percussionists and make sure they weren't having too much fun. It gave me a chance to observe the experienced sub at work. She yelled a lot, Not in an angry way, more like a coach or a PE teacher or band director.  It didn't seem out of place but didn't feel very grandmotherly.

Back to English in the computer lab. I had written their assignment on the board. A student asked if he could use his phone to take a picture of the board. Asking to use the phone is a good thing. That means he knows he isn't supposed to. I said, "Yes." I walked up and down the aisles remembering what high school was like. There was the pretty nice girl, the pretty sassy girl,the smart talkative boy, the super smart quiet boy, the new girl, and since I'm an adult I knew that they all wanted the same things, understanding, love, success, and to get through the day without a grumpy teacher making it hard.  I tried to do my part.

And then I went home and laid on the couch to get enough strength to be the parent.

No comments: