Tuesday, June 2, 2015

The blessings of financial hardship.



The thought of unemployment is a terrifying thought for anyone, and well it should be. So of course it stands to reason that our family was very concerned when my husband lost his job. There are a million panicked places for the brain to go: "What if we have no place to live?" "What if we starve to death?" "How will my children have what they need?"  But there's one good place for the heart to go: faith in the love and power of God. As I wrestled between the places of faith and fear through what turned out to be a 7 month trial, I recognize that I had feelings and gained insights and observed kindnesses that enlarged my soul and reminded me of principles I once knew and taught me new truths I did not previously comprehend. I like to think that I don't need to always have these sore refining opportunities to learn the lessons and gain the understanding necessary to finish out my character development, but apparently I do. In the chance that others can learn vicariously through me without having this experience I am offering this free knowledge.

1. Conveniences can be inconvenient/The best things in life really are free.
The first change we made when faced with our new budget was to cancel all the extras: gym membership, taekwondo, music lessons, orthodontia, weed control,  etc. Our new budget was house payment, insurance, utilities gas and food only. I thought I would feel deprivation, but instead I felt a strange sense of relief. Purchasing non-essentials is fun, but I realized it is always accompanied by a bit of guilt and anxiety. Making do with what we already had (I confess it's a lot. I'm a bargain shopper notwithstanding my guilt feelings.) felt very virtuous and cleansing. Instead of resenting the job of cooking, I was thankful that we had stocked up on flour and yeast and other food supplies for just this kind of situation. I went to work baking and cooking from scratch and our food situation actually improved. Cooking was my new creative outlet and I discovered that providing nutritious and interesting food brought even more satisfaction than my previous creative outlet of purchasing throw pillows to redecorate or shopping the clearance racks for clothes.

We didn't have to run around crazy going to a million lessons and activities. We watched movies at home, played games together, went on nature outings, explored the library, served and worshiped at church, exercised by walking, watching fitness videos, playing tennis, and riding bikes  The children participated in school and some of it's activities. We were not able to afford the expensive sports or trips, but life was not less full.

I remember listening to a speaker describe the people in Africa as being a happy people. Since I view Africa as one of the most underprivileged civilizations I wondered how that could be.  I understand it a little better now.  Sadly, there have been times of plenty when instead of rejoicing over all my blessings I complain because I have to go the the gas station and it's not very fun. I grumble because there is so much clean laundry to fold. I have to wait too long for the water to heat up in my shower.
When I don't have much, I treasure every gift given. I thank God for butterflies and daffodils and health and electricity and loved ones.

Nothing that matters changed. I still had my marriage, my children, my friends, and my faith.

2. People are not their money. People are not their jobs. People are not their clothes. People are not their cars. People are their hearts and minds and choices.  don't think of myself as a person that worries about materialism with it's status and brands, but I learned that it takes a lot of energy to resist it's voice. With greatly reduced funds, I was excused from the temptation. I interacted with a belief and desire that I would not be measured by my current financial situation and found that I was better at offering others the same courtesy.

3. God has some very kind and generous children on this earth.
 I was astounded at the acts of mercy and love that were extended to us during our period of unemployment. There is much good in the world. When we tried to quit Gabe's percussion lesson his teacher responded, "Not yet. He's really making progress." He provided Gabe opportunities to work in his yard to contribute to the lessons. Elves came at Christmas. Friends treated me to lunch. Intermittently, money appeared in my purse. My children were mature and generous in their desire to  join together in unity and caring for our family.The financial help was appreciated, but the love that these acts of kindness conveyed strengthened my faith, lifted my spirits, and melted my heart.

With these strong emotions came the desire to lift others. I recognize that small and simple acts can make big differences in lives. We should not ignore promptings or thoughts that spur us to good deeds. We can be angels today.

4. Miracles happen. In our church we live the law of the fast. Once a month we abstain from 2 meals and then give what we would have spent on our food to the Bishop to assist the poor and needy. We are encouraged to contribute more than this when possible. This is a law we live, but when we ARE the poor and needy it is a little more painful to contribute. Our bishop invited us to demonstrate our faith and increase our fast offerings and reminded us of the promised blessings if we did. In Isaiah 58:6-11 we learn about the blessings of the fast.:
 Isaiah 58:
Is not this the fast that I have chosen? to loose the bands of wickedness, to undo the heavy burdens, and to let the oppressed go free, and that ye break every yoke?
 Is it not to deal thy bread to the hungry, and that thou bring the poor that are cast out to thy house? when thou seest the naked, that thou cover him; and that thou hide not thyself from thine own flesh?
 ¶Then shall thy light break forth as the morning, and thine health shall spring forth speedily: and thy righteousness shall go before thee; the glory of the Lord shall be thy rearward.
 Then shalt thou call, and the Lord shall answer; thou shalt cry, and he shall say, Here I am. If thou take away from the midst of thee the yoke, the putting forth of the finger, and speaking vanity;
 10 And if thou draw out thy soul to the hungry, and satisfy the afflicted soul; then shall thy light rise in obscurity, and thy darkness be as the noonday:
 11 And the Lord shall guide thee continually, and satisfy thy soul in drought, and make fat thy bones: and thou shalt be like a watered garden, and like a spring of water, whose waters fail not.


We desired these blessings so we followed our bishop's counsel even though we were unsure of how our financial future would unfold. D&C"I, the Lord am bound when ye do what I say, but when ye do not what I say, ye have no promise." The Lord kept his promises. We did not go without food. We had a warm home and good health. We felt the love of family, friends and God. We gained understanding and compassion and clarity and humility and faith, and then my husband gained employment such that we didn't even have to move. Heavenly Father is kind and I am thankful.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Wonderful insights Laurie-thank you for sharing!