2014 brought a new element to the Christmas program... our first ever poetry smash. We shook the dice to determine our topic assignments and then hurried to create a poem or story within the 15 minute time allotment. Here are the results:
Gabe: topic-favorite snack
Cheese
Cheese is nice
It has the color of rice
What's so good about cheese?
It's better than bees
So you can eat and do wii
It is a snack
Good thing it's not tack
So don't act wacked
Or they'll come back
Rebecca: topic-childhood book
A Kid's meal
Hop pop hop on pop
Make it stop make it stop
How can Mr. Brown always be goin to town?
How can Yurtle the Turtle have the crown?
There is something about the time taken to read.
A distraction before bed, it fulfills a need.
There is something soothing about a once upon a time.
There is a nourishment about the power of rhyme.
That cannot be found anywhere than a book.
A spice of this and something sweet to cook.
To make words have taste and make hearts heal.
These books have made such mindful meals
Andrew: topic-pets
If I had a pet rock
If I had a pet rock
Extraordinary it would be
I'd never have to silence it
or take it out to pee
A pet rock can be
Quite a useful thing
You can use it as a paperweight
Or throw it with a sling
A rock is quite magnificent
I really hope you see
If you had a pet rock
Happier you would be
Dad: topic-favorite smell
Oh the smells one can smell
As I walk in the house in the morning the smells are apparent
The sizzling of bacon is heard and the aroma as it cooks fills the air
The smell of eggs with onions, cheese and ham can also be hinted at
The smell of the crisp morning air after an extensive rain storm are apparent
As I glide to the kitchen to greet the woman of my dreams
and draw to the clean smell of her skin,
and the fragrance of her freshly washed hair.
The fragrance is botanical-and intoxicating.
Mom: topic-If you could teach any class, what would it be?
Warmth
I would like to teach a class on warmth-you know, gushing, sending the love, welcoming warmly, scattering sunshine, shining the light...
One of the cruelest behaviors is ignoring. If that is true one of the most generous acts is recognition. Understanding the power of a behavior that doesn't take much effort should motivate us to use our power to lift and strengthen all within our influence.
So let's remember those names-call them out with a smile. Wave enthusiastically even if we find out we don't actually know that person upon closer examination. Be a hugger. We all need more hugs than we know. Express gratitude frequently and specifically. Throw out compliments like they're going out of style-of course they never will.
As an add-on, I must include the latest installment of the Eliza-potamus series...."Emmaline-apotamus" as created and performed by Aaron, Andrew and Rebecca:
No comments:
Post a Comment