Not everyone could make it, but those who did contributed to a wonderful reunion where I was reminded how kind God has been to bless me with lovely people in my life. The Stoker household has been reduced to a paltry 3 and even that number dropped when Gabe chose to skip the drive and stay home and attend Youth Conference. Paul volunteered to stay and help Gabe. The wisdom of that decision was confirmed when they both came down with a tummy bug 2 days before day of departure. My party was saved when my courageous and always fun friend consented to come along for an adventure. Who could pass up on an opportunity to get to know me and my family really well? Right, a lot of people. That's what makes her such a terrific friend.
We got to Rochester, NY without a hitch. It was so easy I can't even remember it. (You can feel the foreshadowing for a legendary tale fraught with peril on the trip home.) While I was standing in the Alamo line I overheard a gentleman talking to his father about the Priesthood Restoration Site. This got my attention and I had to ask about it. The church had just opened up a new historical site and as luck would have it, it was a mere 2.5 hrs. away. Done.
![]() |
| The Hale home. I wonder which of their babies used those strollers? |
I had actually wanted to visit old Harmony, PA and the banks of the Susquehanna for a long time so I felt very blessed. Then we hurried back to Palmyra to meet our cute family for a tour of the Joseph Smith farm and Sacred Grove. These cute children made our tour infinitely more interesting. One little 4 yr. old sister told her 2 yr. old brother who said he wanted to climb a tree, "No. You can't climb a tree. You have to climb a bush."
![]() |
| The Palmyra temple spire |
After the inspiring tour we split for a bit so my friend, Rebecca and I could get some dinner. We tried to go to the famed "Chill and grill" but we weren't the only ones with that idea. We saw the completely full parking lot and noted the line to the street and opted for Italian and felt great about our choice. At 8:55 we headed to the pageant which started at 9:15. We parked easily, found some great seats and watched a really amazing show with a cast of 700 depicting the stories from the Book of Mormon including Jesus Christ's ministry on the American Continent.
Day 2: We took our group of Tessa and Rachel's family and the 2 of us and headed to the Peter Whitmer log home where the church was organized. We were joined by 3 tour buses which made a cozy group. It was fun when I recognized one of the couple missionaries as parents of my friend from KS. It was even more fun because they served with my niece Katelyn when she was on her mission and went on and on about her awesomeness which always feels great.
Then we met up with Charlie and his family and Mary and her family. A little while later Susie and her family came. You know that feeling when you choose a spot in America and your people actually get there? Such love for all those beautiful faces!
We spent the rest of the afternoon touring the Book of Mormon publication site and HIll Cumorah monument. And somehow we managed to get to the Chill 'n Grill. I can't decide which was better, the blueberry graham cracker or strawberry cheesecake ice cream.
Then it was time for the pageant again, but there was to be no coming in last minute. That's for Thursday night only. Friday was for real with saved seats, early parking, Mormon Haters, the works. We saw our people in their beautiful costumes and felt the excitement of wonderful things to come, and we weren't disappointed.
![]() |
| My sister, Mary, rockin' the brunette wig. |
We hurried to the airport to arrive in plenty of time for the 12:00 flight that we didn't get on. We tried out some new airport food and rewarded ourselves with a pastry. Rebecca chose a chocolate eclair from the specialty bakery. I chose a cinnamon doughnut from the ever elegant yet tried and true "Dunkin Doughnuts." Right before the 5:45 flight to ATL we grabbed a sundae and chicken wrap from McDonalds. We thought we'd need it for the 2 hr. flight to ATL but in fact we kindly relinquished our seats to all those whose flights had been delayed or rerouted as per regulations and had the whole night to party before trying to get out at 5:45 am the next day. We actually did party. We set up shop at the end of the B gates with comfy chairs, one for sitting and one for resting our feet. We ate our wraps and watched all of season 1 of "Dr. Thorne" which I heartily recommend.
Early Sunday morning we made another attempt to return home. (I had mistakenly promised Rebecca she'd be home on Saturday before her husband got home from his run.) This time we won the game. We flew into Atlanta, ignored the broken train system (trouble for hundreds of passengers. I hope it was short lived.) and walked through 2 concourses and shuttled to park and ride. We made it to church and hardly slept at all. What a great weekend! Thanks to all the dear people who participated. oxoxoxox























1 comment:
I love all of these pictures! It was really such a fun trip. Thank you for setting it up. It was so wonderful seeing all of you!
Post a Comment