Because of some recent opportunities in church, I have become a steward of sorts over about 20 white tablecloths. Can you imagine the beauty of brand spankin' new, gleaming white as snow tablecloths? Five of the linens blanca debuted at a luncheon serving some very responsible adults .To our credit, the menu included food that was light in color; poppyseed salad dressing, creamy chicken and wild rice soup, bread, and a lovely lemon curd dessert. There were a few berries in the dessert, but they went straight from the spoon to the mouth in all cases. The diners ate very neatly and left the tablecloths with minimal food damage. I took the tablecloths home, treated a few low pigment spots and washed them 2 at a time. I loved pulling them out of the dryer restored to their gleaming state and then folding them and returning them to their wool white sisters.
Outing # two for these fair maidens was earlier this week. It was a special occasion and they did their job making everything look beautiful. They held their centerpieces and place settings well as spotless canvas ready to receive fallout from life. The guests at this event were responsible as well. It was a wonderful gathering with all ages of lovely people. As one would expect with younger guests, a few berries and chocolate smear landed on the white. Such is the fate of tablecloths. If they do their job. they receive soil and stain, for life is all about mistakes and imperfection. Once again, I took the tablecloths home. This time I had 11. This time I had reds and browns to scrub and soak. My bathroom was full of tainted piles of white.Then my washer was full of piles of not as tainted mostly white. But into my dryer I placed clean white cloths. In hopes that I could minimize the wrinkles I draped the cloths on all the banisters of my house. My world was white like winter, white like a new start, white like I imagine perfection to be.
The Prophet and President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day-Saints, Russell M. Nelson, has asked us to read The Book of Mormon before the end of the year. I have read this powerful Testament of Jesus Christ many times. I am reading it again before the end of the year as requested. I have marked scriptures that testify and teach of Jesus Christ. I have marked passages that teach me how I can be a better disciple. I have marked old favorite verses that mean more to me every time I read them. I observe that life has taught me and changed me and prepared me to make this reading the best yet.
Today I read Alma 13:11-12 "...They were sanctified, and their garments were washed white through the blood of the Lamb. Now they, after being sanctified by the Holy Ghost, having their garments made white, being pure and spotless before God, could not look upon sin save it were with abhorrence; and there were many exceedingly great many, who were made pure and entered into the rest of the Lord their God."
And do you know what? I knew what white was. As I read about garments being made white I thought of yards of tablecloths draped on my banisters. When I read about being pure and spotless before God I pictured my bathroom as the starting place for removing chocolate and berry trifle. When I read about looking on sin with abhorrence I thought of how glorious clean tablecloths are and what a shame it is when they become stained. And when I read about being washed white through the blood of the Lamb, I felt love and gratitude for my Savior that I can become clean when I make mistakes and be sanctified if I believe on His name and repent and walk the covenant path.
I'm thankful for white tablecloths and new starts.



2 comments:
Loved Reading this...Those white table cloths have a wonderful steward... I love the that scripture. Thanks for sharing!
They did look beautiful, I was hoping they had not adorned the tables at the ward chili cook-off! Thank you for sharing the scripture!
Post a Comment