Sunday, May 12, 2019

Mother's Day 2019


Well, it's Mother's Day today, and fun fact, I'm going to actually be with my mother. Since my Dad passed in January, I have had the privilege of having her live in my house. I'm going to tell the truth, I've been working a lot harder than I usually do. (Says the girl that dreams of sitting on the couch eating bon bons and watching happy endings) It feels much like having a baby. I have someone depending on me now, and I have to consider her needs whether it's inconvenient or not. But unlike a baby, she is grateful and thanks me and showers me with compliments. This person who rocked me when I cried, and changed and fed me when I needed it, the one who taught me how to count and walk and fold clothes and wash windows needs a little help. I am thrilled to be the one to give it to her.

And I want to do it right. It feels like a high and holy commission from God. Recognizing my deficits, I have had the desire as of late to become a better server. I want to advance from the present "Call me if you need anything" (which isn't a bad thing) to "Oh, you're a Jew and you've been taken by thieves, beaten and left on the roadside? Let me clean you, heal you, feed you and take you to an inn. I will pay the innkeeper and return in a few days." I believe God hears and answers prayers and desires, and one way he could be answering mine is by giving me time with my sweet mother.

Another way she is a blessing in my life is all that she teaches me through her example. Whether she's eating her meal at home at the dining table or in her bed at a hospital or rehab center, she bows her head to thank her Heavenly Father.
She treats people with respect. When her nurse or housekeeper or physical therapist or aid comes into her room she says, "_______, let me introduce you to my daughter." She calls people by name and is generous with her sincere compliments. Even though she's 83 years old and sometimes asks me the same questions (actually, I do that too) she has all her records in order. Where I'm forever looking for my receipts,cards, and documents, hers are filed and at the ready. She reads her scriptures every day and keeps the post office in business with all the Thank you notes she sends. Even though her heart is aching with the loss of her eternal sweetheart, she lights the room with her jokes and warm laughter. And she never buys any clothes that aren't pretty, even if they're on clearance,





Mom, I want to be like you when I grow up.