Dear friends and family: You know those years that everything is pretty much the same as
last year and you’re tempted to just change the date on your Christmas letter
and send it out again? 2019 was not that year. So many new things happened you
wouldn’t even recognize us. Well, that’s a stretch, but we have a lot of
stories to tell. You’ll just get the highlights here, but give me a call
sometime and I’ll fill you in.
In January
my father passed away. He had been sick for a couple of years with many close
calls. When it actually came time for him to go, I was strangely surprised. It
had never happened before. How was it happening now? The Miller family gathered
to Utah where we enjoyed a bittersweet reunion remembering Dad and the things
he loved and our love for him. Then we moved Mom in to live with us in the sunny south. Summer was a little rough for her. She called
the temps sweltering and didn’t appreciate the humidity’s influence on her
hair. She misses Dad a lot, but she loves the people in GA and is enjoying the
mild winter.
In April,
Brandon and his family moved to GA, 12 minutes down the road. I know. I’m spoiled. Sunday
family dinners brighten our Sabbath. The Star Wars and Legos are seeing the
light of day, and I’m learning what aspects of my house are definitely not
toddler proof. Just when I thought my k-12 school life was over, I’m back in
music concerts and sports events. Woo Hoo! And if ever I need a buddy to cook, craft or
play, I just get in my car and pick one up.
In the
summer, my Augusta family moved to California. It was a pretty big loss for the
south. Even though they lived 3 hours from me and we didn't see each other as much as I would have liked, there was a perceivable disturbance in the force knowing that they now live The United States away.
We had some very fun Miller family news this year. My brother, Charlie, and his wife, Meg, had their 4th child, Brigham. All children are blessings, but Briggs is notable because he is my father's only grandson with the last name Miller. Considering the fact that there are 10 kids in our family, who knew that it would come down to the wire like this? Thanks for being born, Briggs.
We had some very fun Miller family news this year. My brother, Charlie, and his wife, Meg, had their 4th child, Brigham. All children are blessings, but Briggs is notable because he is my father's only grandson with the last name Miller. Considering the fact that there are 10 kids in our family, who knew that it would come down to the wire like this? Thanks for being born, Briggs.
Fall brought
the start of school and that meant that the long awaited day of my last born
going to college had arrived. We packed, flew, shopped, moved in, oriented, had
some last minute instruction time, and then I left him. He worked hard and
hopefully learned a lot. He came home a couple of weeks ago to tell the tales. He’s
still alive, so we’ll call that a win. I'm very curious about his grade in a challenging class he wanted to, but didn't, give up on. He said he'll check it sometime when he's in a bad mood. He doesn't want to ruin a good day.
Last month
we received the unexpected news that my brother, Pete, had passed away. We hadn’t
been in contact with him for many years, and my heart broke when I realized
there was to be no reunion in this life. All my love and gratitude go to my
Savior, Jesus Christ, for his Atoning Sacrifice. There is hope in Christ and
because of him, all shall live again.
Which brings
us to the topic of Christmas, what a blessed time this is as we celebrate the
birth of God’s perfect son. I’m grateful
for the many blessings that are mine- home, nature’s beauty, trials, but most
of all love of friends and family, you.
Love,
Laurie, Paul and Janet
PS. If
you’re wondering what’s going on with my kids:
| Daniel and I (2 years ago, but we look about the same. Trust me.) |
Brandon and
Mallory live here. Brandon works for Chick Fil a (See pictures above.)
| Rowan, Nathan, Jemma, Ariane, Caden, Theo, Jacob and Clementine, Hyrum, Eliza, Isla, Joseph, Emmaline and Alice. |
Nathan and
Ariane are in Sacramento. He works for Kaiser in Stockton. Rowan Thomas was born in September.
Aaron and
Clarissa are still in NC. Aaron is in the Oral Surgery program at Fort Bragg. Miles Aaron was born last week.
![]() |
| Aaron, Redmond, Clarissa, Lucy |
![]() |
| Lucy and Miles |
Jacob and
Alexa are in Sacramento. Jacob is in his last year of Medical school and is
hoping to start a residency program next year.
Eliza and
Joseph are in Walla Walla, Washington. Joseph is practicing Orthodontics.
Andrew is in
Orem. He only has an internship between him and his bachelor’s degree. Contact
him if you have any leads. He’s open.
| Nathan and Andrew |
Rebecca has
2 semesters left before she graduates from BYU. She's doing her practicum this very minute.
Gabe just
finished his first semester at BYU Idaho. He's off track right now, skipping the Idaho winter and trying to make some mulah. He'll go back to school in April.









1 comment:
What a year! You survived and I love seeing all your successful children around the US spreading Stoker joy!
Post a Comment