My mom, Janet Miller, didn't have the opportunity to learn the piano when she was little, but she made sure all of her children took piano lessons. We all ended up with varied ability to play, but we all love music and use our skills in family and church settings. After her children were all grown, Mom decided it was her turn to learn to play the piano.
I remember visiting her in her Manti home a few years ago where she showed me what songs she was working on. I was so impressed with her desire to continue to develop her talents. When she lived in the skilled nursing facility with Dad, she practiced on the piano in the commons room. It was fun to go to church with Mom and Dad there. Mom played the prelude every Sunday. Dad was so proud of her and so was I.
Now she lives with me and still practices the piano. A secret dream she has had is to accompany the congregation at church. We have a large congregation with many accomplished pianists, so it is unlikely that she will have that opportunity at her age of 84. Enter Covid-19. All the families in our church were asked to worship at home as the building was closed to keep people safe from the Corona virus. Every Saturday Mom prepared the songs for the next day. She wrote the list and handed it to my husband who conducted our home worship service. We sang and she played. "God Be With You," "We Thank Thee Oh God For a Prophet," "There is a Green Hill Far Away," "Oh God, The Eternal Father," "Count Your Blessings, " and "Abide With Me" have become some of my favorite hymns. It warms my heart as I realize that Heavenly Father is answering her prayer and the desire of her heart. Even though she plays the simplified version of the hymns, when I hear the music I feel the spirit of God and love fills my soul. Isn't Heavenly Father kind?

1 comment:
Beautiful story, thanks for sharing Laurie :)
Post a Comment