Monday, June 13, 2022

First to fight for the right and to build the nation's might. Congratulations Aaron

 There's something about watching a child struggle and fight and sweat and work with all he has to get to the finish line that just makes my mom heart burst with pride. This kid and his brave and loving wife just completed their Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery residency at Ft. Bragg in Fayetteville, NC. It was an honor to attend the graduation ceremony, and I was enriched by the experience.



I've been to a couple of graduations, but not an army graduation. It was the DENTAC GRADUATE EDUCATION COMMENCEMENT and there were only 10 total graduates-6 Dentists, 3 Endodontists, and 1 Oral Surgeon. That right there makes for a very doable sit. It's very easy to watch 10 people get their diplomas. Talk away. We'll be fine.







We began the ceremony with the singing of "The Star Spangled Banner." I was already starting to feel very thankful for my freedom when things got even better. The Chaplain said, "We will now exercise our religious freedom and pray." Yeah, my religious freedom! The freedom that many have given their lives for. The freedom the soldiers in the room had promised to defend. Can we take a moment to commit to defend our religious freedom and never take it for granted? That statement alone made me want to pray with more faith, more resolve, and more gratitude. 

Then the retired General spoke and told us that the Army residency program was known for it's rigor and preparation for life. I thought of the 4 years my son worked into the night and came home to sleeping children. I remember visiting Aaron's family and waking up in the morning to little Lion King pictures that Aaron had drawn and left on the table so his children knew he loved them. I thought of how proud I am of my children and anyone else who chooses to do hard things and doesn't quit even though they wanted to many times.








Then they presented the Certificates. When Colonel Arnold presented Aaron's he started by saying, "And now for the Delta Force of Dentistry..." We laughed, but I appreciated the comparison, because this kid earned the compliment.



And then they sang the Army song. I've heard it at a hundred 4th of July celebrations, but it was different this time. I was proud and thankful to contribute to those who defend our country. And by contribute I mean give birth to a soldier and patriot.

March along, sing our song, with the Army of the free.
Count the brave, count the true, who have fought to victory.
We're the Army and proud of our name
We're the Army and proudly proclaim

First to fight for the right,
And to build the Nation's might...

He got a cool coin and we had some delicious cake. It was a great ceremony.







But I think the best recognition of all was this note from Lucy:







No comments: