Labels
Children
(88)
Happy Birthday
(46)
For Moms
(39)
Grandchildren
(38)
Siblings
(32)
Holiday
(22)
Family History
(21)
2013
(20)
Inspirational
(19)
Robert Miller
(19)
2015
(16)
Janet Miner
(16)
2020
(15)
2016
(14)
2014
(13)
music
(12)
2012
(9)
Subbing
(9)
2017
(7)
2019
(7)
2018
(5)
Christmas
(5)
Neices and Nephews
(5)
garden
(5)
2022
(4)
My childhood
(4)
nieces and nephews
(4)
Graduation
(3)
Ila Casto
(3)
Mother's Day
(3)
Wedding
(3)
2021
(2)
Aaron
(2)
Book List
(2)
Children 2014
(2)
Don Stoker
(2)
Gabe Stoker
(2)
Janus Miller
(2)
Manly program
(2)
Paul Stoker
(2)
Book review
(1)
Caroline Margaret Larsen
(1)
Christina Gregerson
(1)
Covid-19
(1)
Hans Peter Hansen Miller
(1)
Jeanne Wallace
(1)
Marriage
(1)
Portland
(1)
Sam
(1)
San Diego
(1)
Stoker nieces and nephews
(1)
Stoker siblings
(1)
Tamma Murfee Miner
(1)
Thanksgiving
(1)
Thoughts
(1)
Vernon Fawson
(1)
You know you're a Miller
(1)
parents
(1)
recipes
(1)
Friday, December 16, 2022
The Princess With a Nose Bleed
About 10 years ago, after Eliza's marriage. A few of us went to "Music and the Spoken Word" on the weekend of the Tabernacle Choir Christmas concert. It was a glorious experience for all, and I dreamed of the day I would be able to attend an actual full length concert. A couple of months ago, I noticed that it was time to apply for the free tickets. I put in my name just to see what would happen. Well, I got the tickets. I was thrilled but had no idea how I could make this work. I have a lot of responsibilities right now, not the least of which is taking care of my mom. Time went on and I just kept that day open on the calendar, just in case. As Dec. 15th got closer I called my sister Megan to see if she would want to meet me in Salt Lake City and attend. She promised to work on it from her end. As it turned out, her daughter was celebrating her 18th birthday on Dec. 16th. They decided to go on a few college tours in UT. Her daughter also wanted to visit a friend on Thursday night so that left Megan free! It was a date.
We got a little nervous the day before when Megan was coughing in the morning. The weather threatened to be snowy and standby travel looked dicey. We pushed through. I woke up Thursday morning at 4:00am and headed to the airport. I got through the famed ATL security with the police dogs. The good news is that because we passed the dogs' scrutiny we didn't have to take our shoes off. I went to the gate and saw the standby list. 6 available seats. I was number 16. The flight was slightly delayed which allowed all the latecomers to arrive. Nothing against latecomers, and I feel their pain, but sometimes that's how the standby travelers get a seat. I was convinced that I would not be getting on that flight. I emailed Megan to tell her my plight, half expecting her to say she was deathly ill and the roads were too snowy for travel.That was not the case, however, she was feeling better and they were already in UT. I didn't believe I would be joining them and went to ask the gate agent to see if he thought I could get to Oklahoma City. There's a granddaughter over there that I really want to meet. He told me to wait a bit, you never know what's going to happen. Just like he predicted, the standby list started dwindling down. They called out a name, not mine, and 2 people stood up. "I have 1 seat. Are you interested in separating?" They shook their heads and then I heard, "Stoker?" What? I was actually on the airplane! A Christmas miracle.
I had planned to meet up with my son and his sweet baby in the morning, but the snowy roads were a no-go for them. I had a few hours until I would see my sister. I was actually tempted to stay in the airport where it was warm and catch up on some calls and emails. I realized the lameness of that choice and said a little prayer that I would use the time right.I put on both my coats, my gloves and my cashmere scarf and ventured outside to catch the train. It could have been the coldest 11 minutes of my life, or I might have a bad memory. I got off at the temple square station and had to make a choice. The lure of the City Creek Shopping Center was strong, but I remembered that my hometown also has stores. I was in SLC and needed to do SLC things. I headed to Temple Square instead. I saw the sign for the Church History Museum and that seemed like a great place to start. When I walked in the gift shop was shining bright. So many beautiful things to look at. I could spend an hour there. Then I looked around. There were wonderful Church History displays and artifacts and then I couldn't believe it. The Church Art Competition, "All Are Alike Unto God," was on display upstairs. The actual works were in the very place I stood. I was in heaven. Then in walked one of the tour guides. More amazing good luck. It was my friend, Jenee Fergusen Lewis from Lincoln NE. Heavenly Father is so good to me. After some fun catching up and a special guided tour with Jenee Megan joined me and we toured and took pictures and admired the breathtaking art.
Then it actually was time to go to City Creek. While we were walking down W. Temple St. we heard someone in a car passing by call, "Laurie! Megan!" It was our sweet niece that we haven't seen for months. Just one more happy surprise for an already fabulous day.We were hungry, and we decided to head to "The Cheesecake Factory" along with all of the other people going to the concert. The wait was 40 minutes so we decided to go someplace else. As we left we were reminded that we could either spend the next 40 minutes looking for another option or just stand and visit there and eat the food we were in the mood for. When we spoke to the host, Megan had the brilliant idea of asking if there was bar seating. Five minutes later we were sitting at a bistro table looking at the menu. Unfortunately, or so I thought, something happened to our order and we didn't get our food for about an hour. Looking back I realize it allowed us to visit someplace warm for a long time without feeling as if we needed to leave and make room for the next customers.
When we were finished eating our yummy food, we walked over to the Conference Center. I have to say, I haven't felt so Christmasy for a long time. The decorations were so beautiful. I thought the fake snow on the Christmas tree was exquisite. Turns out it was real snow, weird. We arrived and found our seats. Megan had run to put the cheesecake in the car. I was sitting there in that gorgeous place anticipating the marvelous privilege I was experiencing and I felt like a princess. And then it happened. This low altitude GA girl visiting the mountain west became a princess with a nose bleed. I sat there wondering what to do. I had no tissues. If I turned around to ask for help the people behind me would be met with a view of my alarming state. It had to be done. After a little gasp the girl behind me handed me a tissue. A few minutes later she offered me a whole pack. Later she shared that she had forgotten she had already grabbed one and inadvertently added an extra package to her purse. Another tender mercy. Bless her heart for saving my day. I put on one of my coats to hide the blood spatters on my shirt and traipsed up the stairs to the restroom. I was given a wide berth as one would imagine. I washed my face and headed back after the bleeding had stopped. I looked almost normal, but there wasn't much to be done about my shirt. Oh well. Totally worth it.
My sister and I both returned to our seats and we enjoyed a most magnificent concert. The star singer was Lea Salonga, and the star actor was David Suchet. It was fabulous.
The next morning I woke up to a text from my husband saying the flights all looked bad and he had used our points to buy me a ticket home. He was my hero. Megan drove me to the airport. I got on the plane with a ticket and that's it. And now I'm home. And I recognize that God gave me a wonderful Christmas gift, a way to make the celebration of the birth of His Son special and very memorable. I recognize his hand in my trip and I'm grateful.
PS. The icing on the cake is my shirt came clean.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment