One of many times I failed to share I had built a fort of sorts in the furthest corner of the pasture by the canal bank. The irrigation ditch bordered the small area and served as a perfect moat. I made a little place to sit under the tree and imagined the wonderful times I would have. The next day I was walking in the yard in shorts and cowboy boots. (who knows why) I saw my younger sister and her little friend playing in my newly created secret fort. My selfish nerve snapped and I went running and yelling. I tried to climb the barbed-wire fence to get there faster. My boot slipped, and I sliced my thigh on the barb. I regret my selfishness and my scar. It's a good reminder that sharing is the better choice.
As a parent I have struggled with teaching this important concept that doesn't always come naturally. My youngest received a snazzy little keyboard for his birthday. His musical sister enjoyed playing it, but he was not interested in sharing his birthday toy. That night we knelt at the side of his bed while he said his prayers. I whispered into his ear, "And bless me that I can be a good sharer." He said, "And bless that I not share my piano with Becca because it's mine."
There have been a few times in life when people have reached out and shown me what sharing is really supposed to look like. I was walking down the street in a dress in Laie, HI. Suddenly it started to rain, hard. I was halfway between campus and the temple when a car stopped, a lady jumped out and handed me an umbrella, and started to drive away. I called out asking how to return it. She quickly yelled, "Keep it." and that was that. I was overwhelmed, not only with the fact that I now had an umbrella, but with the demonstration of the loving kindness that takes no thought of return favors, only in blessing others.On another enlightening day I was driving around the very busy parking lot of the Lawrence, KS downtown library. Finding a parking place was serious business. I saw someone pulling out to the left of me. I stopped and waited only to see a car coming the opposite way. Clearly they had the better position and would take the newly opened spot. The driver saw me waiting, smiled and waved and drove on. I recognized her as the children's librarian. I was inspired by her magnanimity and was left to wonder at the largeness of her heart. I approached her on another day to thank her for her example and the parking spot. She didn't even remember the incident. It was so natural she didn't give it another thought, but I did.
A gentleman shared an experience he had on a date with his wife. They were out for cheeseburgers. At one point he realized his wife might want a bite of his cheeseburger. He started eating the less desirable parts to leave the best for her. At same time she was having similar thoughts and saving the best for him. As I listened to this story I realized the secret to sharing is loving people more than food, toys, forts, and everything else that I think is mine but in reality is just another gift from God.
So my goal is to give you the heart of my watermelon and my parking place and whatever else would make you happy. If I forget please remind me because if I want it and you want it you get it.

3 comments:
You have such a gift of expression and you get right to the "heart" of life with your introspective (?) musings and reminiscings (this is coming up spelled incorrectly, but it's what I'm trying to say). I wish there was a way to change the size of your blog. I have to keep sliding the bottom arrows from side to side to read it. Is there a way? I noticed when I checked your blog while using my daughter's laptop that it fit all on her screen. What is wrong with mine? Thanks again for sharing.
Sheri, I think it has to do with the shape of your screen.I noticed the same thing on my friend's computer. I'm not sure if you can change it. On my working screen the pictures fit differently than on the viewing screen. It's all a bit confusing. Thank you for the compliment.
Laurie, are you sure that you don't want to right a book. It could be called The heart of the watermelon.
Love you.
Post a Comment