Thursday, November 15, 2012

Happy Birthday Miss Rebecca



When this little girl came into our family we knew there was something about her.  All my kids are unique and amazing, but this baby was different.  For one thing she was quiet.  I waited for her to start her frequent and sustained crying at 3 weeks, (like her older siblings) but it just didn't happen.

I asked the doctor if she was okay.  He picked her up by her tummy and she arched everything up with perfect tone.  He said, "She's fine."  I guess the first thing we learn from Rebecca is "You don't have to follow the crowd."






After getting to know this little sweets better, I thought, "Someone needs to have this girl for a big sister.  It would be a shame to waste her talents."  Soon after that Gabe was born.  The three of us went on a million trips to the Dr. in Chicago.  She was practically a baby herself, but was extremely helpful and was a great comfort to me and companion for Gabe.  More than once when I was holding her in my lap,  he would come over wanting me.  She quietly relinquished her spot so his needs could be met.  My heart broke a little, but I was proud of her. She took care of him for as long as he would allow.  She made structures out of cardboard and created games.  She attended speech therapy with him as a role model and played a lot of school.  Only her school was real, with curriculum and objectives.


Paul and Rebecca visiting Gabe and me in the hospital.

Gabe enjoying a Rebecca creation


Rebecca has a way of making life seem great.  She's not stressed, why are we?  She works towards worthy goals, but she brings a little sunshine on the journey.  She doesn't know why people always laugh at her, but she should hear how cute she sounds.  One silly night she told her brother, "Make me laugh.  Never mind, I'll make myself laugh.  Knock, knock."  She told me she couldn't eat peanut butter sandwiches for lunch anymore, "I'm getting love handles.  PB sandwiches are too lovey dovey for me." 



This is her invention presentation introducing the "Sticky-clippy pencil."



Blue's Clues all the way.

You know how you wear the boundary cones

Holiday socks?  check.  Because of Rebecca
we now have a rule: No holiday socks out of season.
And yet, I saw some Easter socks peeking out of her pant
legs just last week.

Trevor and Becca, balloon hat buddies

The cutest little magician in the parade



Surprise!

A few years ago I wrote in my journal, "Rebecca is loving and diligent."  I would still say those are her strongest characteristics and they've taken her a long way.  Sometimes it looks like she's magic, but what I see is a little girl practicing and practicing, studying and studying, exercising, reading, praying, serving, creating until she lies her tired little body down at night after giving her best effort every day.  I guess it's true what they say, "The harder I work.  The luckier I get."





Mrs. Ritter, Becca's fantastic 8th grade science teacher.



Happy Birthday beautiful!  Thanks for coming to our family.

No comments: