When I was serving in the Primary, these programs were always accompanied by stressful moments that are only funny now that they're long past. When I was chorister we finished a song and I took my seat only to notice that I had left the children still standing. When I was the president I would be holdin' in a hissy fit if a child didn't show up or there was a mistake or delay. One year we had an "active" little girl in our Primary. (read behavior issues.) It was all she could do to stay her in her seat on the stand. At one point I saw her lying on her tummy on the floor. She was staying still and was hidden behind the balustrade so I decided to not intervene. Upon closer observance I realized she was entertaining herself by letting spit drop out of her mouth and slurping it up again before it hit the carpet. She continued with this game until she let it slip too far. Her saliva hit the carpet. She quickly wiped it with her hand and looked up guiltily to see if anyone had seen what happened. The humor of the whole situation hit me and I couldn't suppress my laughter. I looked quickly at the congregation to see if any of them suspected the hidden shenanigans. Now that I watch the program as an observer only, I realize how little it matters if everything's perfect. The program's great because they're children and they're singing and speaking about the Savior and His gospel and that's always a winning combination.
Every year there are always one or two moments that make me cry, and this year was no exception. The Primary President had asked all the families with children who had been baptized in 2012 to come to the front with their families to sing "When I am baptized"
I like to look for rainbows whenever there is rain
And ponder on the beauty of an earth made clean again
I want my life to be as clean as earth right after rain.
I want to be the best I can and live with God again.
I know when I am baptized, my wrongs are washed away
And I can be forgiven and improve myself each day.
I want my life to be as clean as earth right after rain.
I want to be the best I can and live with God again.
All those beautiful eternal families singing of the beauty of the atonement and baptism and repentance just melted my heart. When I didn't think it could get any better, this little 3 year old came marching by. For some reason she wasn't singing with her family. I don't know if she was in the bathroom when they were called up, or if she was sitting with Grandma because she was too little, but no matter. She stepped right up to where she belonged, in the center of her family and sang her heart out. I was struck with the power of this principle. I want to step up to where I belong and make my eternal family the center of my life.
When my youngest child was born with facial anomalies, I remember having the thought that he needed a priesthood blessing. Within a few moments the nurse announced that there were people at the hospital to see us. I don't believe we had called anyone at that time, but the Stake President and his wife and the Bishop (who was out on a birthday date) came separately to the hospital arriving at the same time. They were able to give Gabe a beautiful blessing that even made the nurse cry. Then the Stake President's wife turned to me and said, "I have a strong feeling that this baby is very happy to be joining your family." When she said this I knew it was true. I now have a picture in my mind of each child stepping up to take their place in the family and this final little guy marching in, right where he belonged.
When my youngest child was born with facial anomalies, I remember having the thought that he needed a priesthood blessing. Within a few moments the nurse announced that there were people at the hospital to see us. I don't believe we had called anyone at that time, but the Stake President and his wife and the Bishop (who was out on a birthday date) came separately to the hospital arriving at the same time. They were able to give Gabe a beautiful blessing that even made the nurse cry. Then the Stake President's wife turned to me and said, "I have a strong feeling that this baby is very happy to be joining your family." When she said this I knew it was true. I now have a picture in my mind of each child stepping up to take their place in the family and this final little guy marching in, right where he belonged.
Belonging to a family is a wondrous blessing, but takes a lot of work. Sometimes we make choices that make our family feel that they would rather not belong to us, but the "crowning characteristic of love is loyalty." (Jeffrey R, Holland) and luckily, families are forever so we can repent and repent and repent and forgive and forgive and forgive because we belong together.


No comments:
Post a Comment