Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Remember to remember.

As I sit here in front of my computer desk an old saying comes to me, "Out of sight out of mind."  It's true.  In sight is the only chance I have to keep things in my mind.  I try to stack my piles to feign organization, but the truth is, to get anything done I need lots of reminders.  If I want to know where something is,  it's best if it's right in front of me.  So, I have my library PIN#, fitness class schedule, pictures that I might want on the blog, camera, list of percussion teachers, partial Christmas card list, (it's been dangerously separated from the other partial list so if you wanted a Christmas letter let me know), a family group sheet that I promised Mom I'd fill out and mail, a freshly printed recipe, my insurance card...you get the picture.  It works well enough, and I've learned to live with the brain I was given and make compensations when necessary.


When it comes to people however, this system is not good enough.   I have my near and dears that are right in front of me whose needs are always on my mind.  But what about those who aren't in front of me, but have needs that with the smallest bit of remembering could be a little happier, feel a little more loved?  It's my friends who aren't feeling well that aren't in their place at church or school, etc.  Sometimes people are in their place physically but the hurt in their heart is hidden away out of sight.  I need to remember them.

One of my friends has enlisted me as part of a "Meals on wheels" delivery team. As this friend was getting me acquainted with our route,   I was calculating  how best to get it done in the shortest amount of time possible.  Then she began telling me about the last sweet lady on our list.  She usually spends a few more minutes with her after dropping off the meal.  One day there was confusion in the schedule and there wasn't time for visiting.  The sweet lady told my friend, "I'm sorry. I really look forward to your visits."  This very interesting lady lives in a little room built onto her granddaughter's house.  Her family is loving, but she spends much of her day alone.  15 minutes of attention once a week makes a difference to her.

This started me thinking of all the people who I already know and love who need a little care, attention, just a few minutes.   Basically they need to be remembered.   How many times have I thought about sending a note, or making a phone call?  It comes to my mind, I plan to do it, I get on the computer, check facebook then e-mail and what was I going to do? I walk through the house to get an address or find the phone, I see the laundry, start looking for hangers...  "If you give a mouse a cookie," right?

I don't make New Year's resolutions, but I have been known to start some habits and try and improve some behaviors in January.  One of the changes I'm working on is paying more attention to those I love and less to things I see.  In other words, "Remember to remember."  So I want to remember my husband and everything he has done for me, not just what I want him to do for me.  I want to remember each child, and how great they are whether or not things are going their way.  I want to remember my parents and let them know not just that I'm doing great, but that they're doing great.  I want to remember my siblings and let them know that they're my heroes even though I'm the big sister.  I want to remember my friends and people that I feel friendly towards because they have helped me along the way with their smiles and examples and stories of strength and courage in the journey of life.  I want to remember that there are those within my reach that  could really use 15 minutes.

And most importantly, I want to remember my Savior, at church, at home, on vacation, in the marketplace, in nature, in sports, in choosing entertainment, in learning, and especially in my dealings with His children. Because He has saved me, and I want Him to know that I remember.


No comments: