Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Happy Birthday Jacob





I like to think of  my son Jacob (after Israel from the Old Testament and the righteous son of Lehi in the Book of Mormon) Donald (after my husband's father) as my little Valentine.  He was born in February, and  friends celebrated by bringing, among other things, many Valentine treats.  I'm guessing that this helped shape him because he has a big heart, and he likes sugar.


He has been the youngest child at home and the oldest child at home, but actually he is the very middle of the Stoker children and has lived with every sibling at some time.











Jacob has a lot to teach us.  One of the most important things is you don't have to say everything you think.  This used to confuse me.  I thought he didn't have a plan because he wasn't yammering on like I am when I have a plan.  He has a plan alright, and it's a good one.

Here we have the "Let's help mom empty the dishwasher" plan

One summer the rest of us were hiking.
Jacob was rock collecting,
(as demonstrated by the sagging pocket.)


A few years later I showed the kids how to chalk a hopscotch on the sidewalk to play the game.  Jacob was chalking and chalking and chalking and chalking.  I finally asked him what he was doing.  He said, "I want my hopscotch to have 100 squares."  Considerably more chalking required for his hopscotch design than mine.

When it was time for Jacob to go to college he announced one evening, (about 1 month after acceptance notices were sent)  "Oh by the way, I've been accepted to BYU."  When asked why he hadn't told us, his response was of course, "You didn't ask."

Having a bossy, noisy mother was challenging at times for Jacob.  He wasn't one to argue, but he had his ways of making his views known.  When he was very young he called me from his bedroom after I had put him to bed.  It wasn't the first time that night, so I ignored him.  Later I went in to check on everyone and all his covers were thrown on the floor.  I asked,   "What are these blankets doing here?'  "He said, "Well, you're the one that didn't come and help me."

Another time (I'm sure there were many) I made him mad and he ran away.  He ran away safely, just across the street so he didn't get lost and I wouldn't worry, but it was clear that he was unhappy with my parenting decision.



Jacob is a hero and has been practicing this since he was little.  He looks around for ways to save people from danger or villains or just a little sadness.





Scub scout

Here come the kids in black



White ninja Jacob.  Black ninja Andrew.  Ninja princess Eliza.


Power Ranger





Harry, of course.


He took excellent care of his younger siblings. and was a good friend to each of them.  He knows that families are forever and invests in relationships.





He planned a Star Wars party for his siblings so he could make a memory before he left home.
Jacob is a genius in a lot of ways, but the most fun to watch is his creativity.

Just acting out a little episode with his action figure, dinosaur, horse, and pound puppy.


A kitty, a little boy, an orca, and the best babysitter (remember the apple on her chest)
play a friendly game of Bingo? with the Candy Land markers.


Fun on Christmas Day.  The happy train travels through the snake and alligator infested waters.

Not your average jack o lantern


Jacob is an excellent gift giver.   One mother's day he gave me 18 tulips with a picture, tag and thank you on each flower for our 18 years together.  He has been involved in making a memory book and t-shirt for a favorite teacher. It makes my heart happy to see him be so caring.  That and his dedication to God and goodness are the best gifts of all.

I love you sweetheart!






No comments: