Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Happy Birthday Mallory

My son, Brandon, met Mallory Dickson in an "Achieving Celestial Marriage" class at BYU.  Isn't that just the kind of story you want to tell your kids?  He was so impressed with her and was sold on her so quickly I hardly had time to facebook stalk her before they were engaged.  But when I did, this was her profile picture:



I thought she was a model, but found out later she was just having fun.

  Paul and I met Mallory at Brandon's graduation in April.  We thought she was great and we enjoyed our time together.  She sweetly confided a couple of years ago that it was not as relaxing for her.  We were eating lunch at a restaurant and her plastic fork broke.  She didn't want to appear high-maintenance so she finished her meal with her broken fork.  While we were waiting in the Marriott Center for convocation we were eating trail mix.  She doesn't like raisins, but wanted to be agreeable so she slipped them into her purse as she ate the peanuts.  Then to continue the awkwardness, we went to a show, and I suggested Ghost Rider because it was the PG-13 movie playing at the right time.  Well, it was not exactly the feel-good experience we were looking for.  There's not a more easy-to-get along with, comfortable person on the planet than Mallory, but those stories are fun to tell and retell.




Mallory took a chance on Brandon.  He had no money and no job, just a Bachelors degree, his dreams and love.  But their marriage was the start of something big.  






They lived in Provo, UT for awhile.  Mallory continued her education and had a sweet baby girl, Annabelle. Then they took their loving show on the road to Iowa City which is not close to her home of Seattle.  She graduated in Math Education and then concentrated on being a very excellent mother. 





Mallory teaching Annabelle about the camera so she wouldn't be afraid
when Grandma took a picture.


 I have always been amazed at her mothering skills. For one thing, she totally knows how to swaddle babies.  This is an important sleep aid that was missing in my mother-of-babies years.  I watched her carefully so I can get the right baby-in-a-taco wrap for any babies in my care

Unfortunately, I do not have a picture of her baby swaddle,
but trust me.   It's a beautiful thing.
.  
Mallory always uses a calm voice.  When she was home for her first Christmas with the Stokers, her sweet manner made me realize that we tend to be a little confrontational.  I want to be more gentle like her. 



One summer she was visiting us while Brandon had some business in Atlanta.  All 3 kids wanted her and would take no substitutions.  She didn't yell or cry or answer shortly.  She just told the children their options, met their needs and pushed through with courage and love.



Speaking of courage and love, having young children is full of opportunities to test and then strengthen these qualities.  Christmas Eve 2010 we went to a party at some friends' house.  Shortly after our arrival Annabelle threw up.  Mallory and Brandon took their kids home.  The next day Josh threw up.  Actually Mallory got thrown up on 3 times in one day.  Still kind and caring, she just changed her clothes, laughed a little, and took care of her babies.


When one of her children has a little problem like say, not wanting to go to bed, she researches and prays and then comes up with clever programs to help her children improve and overcome fears. "You can come out if you're scared, but on the second time you lose your show.  You choose."
















Mallory has a superior imagination and sense of fun.  When it was time for our New Year's disco dance, she was in.  She and Gabe created a Ninja adventure story that they continued to develop on the phone.  Her children enjoy listening to her made-up stories that contain questions such as, "What's your super power?  Then what happened? "





From Iowa they moved to the Washington DC area.  Of course Mallory adapted and enjoyed all the advantages of our nation's capital.  She rode the Metro, saw the sights, and made her world a better place.


  Last summer, however, she was rewarded for her bravery.  Brandon took a job in Portland, OR, 2.5 hrs. from her family.  But first he had to spend a month in Michigan.  With 3 babies, my advice to her was to go and stay with her mom.  She said, "Brandon and I don't like to be apart.  I'm going to live with him in the hotel as long as I can"  Do you know what?  She lasted the whole time.  Her kids were happy and growing and it just goes to show, it doesn't really matter where you live, if you're with your family, you're home.  I think making a happy place for her family is Mallory's super power.






No comments: