The kids at home make their own lunches and breakfasts. Two of them do their own laundry. They never cry out loud. They still tantrum a bit, but not more than I do. I worry about them choosing happiness, but I don't worry about them dying in their sleep, or running into the street, or if they'll learn to read. In fact, I've just been ignoring them for an hour. I went around the house and did a spot check and this is what I found. All is well.
| Okay, they posed for the camera. They were doing homework. |
Sometimes I look at pictures of when they were little, and I'm surprised at how long ago that seems, and how short a time that was. I was sharing these observations with my daughter-in-law. I said those crazy things that grandmas say to young mothers, "Enjoy them while they're little. They grow up so fast." She insightfully reminded me, "I know that's true and I'm trying to remember that, but I can't even go to the bathroom by myself."
I realize that the memory loss that comes along at my age is one of the secrets to happiness, but I want to step out of my blissful state for a moment to thank the mothers of my grandchildren for giving all to the health and well-being, temporal and eternal, of my beloved grandchildren.
Thank you for pushing through months of nausea, and discomfort as new life grows within you. Thank you for enduring the pain that gives way to birth into this mortal probation. Thank you for loving the father of your children and keeping the promises you made on your wedding day. Thank you for nursing and feeding your newborn child and sustaining their new little humanity. Thank you for keeping them clean, diaper after diaper, in the day, in the night, on the road, at the store, and on and on and on. Thank you for washing their sweet small clothes that may or may not be damp with spit-up, urine, milk, and who knows what else. Thank you for being patient with their tears as they learn to solve problems and cope with the chllenges in life like hunger, fatigue, cold, hot, boredom, lonliness, how to sleep, how to get mom to carry you everywhere, not enough candy eating times, not enough electronic times, too much room cleaning, too much church, too much being quiet, not enough staying up late, not enough jumping on the bed, etc.
Thank you for not sleeping enough. Thank you for giving up "me" time for a lot of "we" time. Thank you for carrying my grandchildren around, plus their diaper bag full of "what ifs" plus their stroller and every other large heavy item that comes with a wee little child. Thank you for keeping your cool when pushed to the brink when it's not even an hour into the day. Thank you for chasing after the wild little "run aways" and always bringing them back home with you. Thank you for cleaning up the mess, and thank you for letting the mess stand while there is creation afoot. Thank you for learning all that you can about being a good mother and doing your best and then doing your best again tomorrow and even the tomorrow after that. Thank you for loving God and teaching your children the sameErica: I can't even imagine how hard it is to be a military wife with young children. You've been through some tough times this go-around with Daniel gone and I'm very proud of you. You are capable and strong. Keep up the good work. Thank you for never giving up. I know there won't be anyone at your house to spoil you on Mother's Day, but I am very thankful for you and I love you. I pray for blessings upon your head. You mean the world to your children and family and your efforts do not go unnoticed. You are a great example of someone who goes to great lengths to meet the needs of others. Caleb and I had a little conversation and he told me some of the things that you do for him that he's thankful for: "She takes care of me. She makes me dinner. She cleans the messes up. She goes to get food at the grocery store. She drives for us." This is what he said you've taught him: "Be nice to my friends. Don't lie. Clean up my plate. Be responsible for my own actions. Jesus is always with us. Jesus always loves us with whatever mistakes we make." This is a wonderful tribute to you, a very dedicated and loving mother.
Mallory: You've had 3 babies and lived 4 places in just six years. I'm inspired by your positive and eternal perspective. Always teaching, always patient, even when your active little sweeties are giving you a run for your money, you meet your challenges beautifully. Annabelle said she loves that you play with her a lot and give her kisses. Remember the cute thing she said a while ago? "Tomorrow I'm going to not whine or cry. I'm going to be perfect like you." You are a wonderful role model. Thank you for blessing the lives of our family.



No comments:
Post a Comment