Thursday, June 6, 2013

"I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies."


On Wednesday I got to see a little tiny glimpse into the military world.  I was invited to an event, a double header.  First, my son and his group (there's a name for it of course...squadron? company?-help me Daniel) jumped out of an airplane, then he was pinned on Major.  Two very exciting occurrences.

The plan was for my daughter-in-law, Erica, and her kids and I to meet the Colonel's wife, Erica,  Royal's wife, Lauren, and Ferguson (Ferg) the soldier assigned to transport the Commander, at the gas station at an appointed time so he could lead us to the drop zone.  We were ready for execution and then the rain began...hard, with lightning.  Ferg called, "There's been a delay.  They'll probably cancel."  Erica and I were still at home with the kids so we relaxed a little.  Then Ferg called again, "It's on and they're back to the original time."  Ferg of course was at the gas station in nothing flat while we had intention of getting there in nothing flat.  Let's say we were there in "gather 2 kids/find their shoes/find the keys/ grab the snacks/did we get the umbrella/ nothing flat."  Ferg was in his truck and started driving off when he saw us.  We were all, "Wait for the other girls!  Lauren needs to get in the other car.  Are we all together?  Okay, let's go."  Ferg had pulled off the road until we caught up.  Then we were on our way.  Notwithstanding the torrential rain, Ferg moved ahead determinedly passing cars with no fear.  The girls all thought we were most likely going to die today with the low visibility and unsure tracking on the wet roads.  We got to the location.  I don't know what I expected; bleachers, a covered gazebo, snow cone shack?  Basically there was a road and a field.  No problem.  The other two ladies and two kids and I would make ourselves comfortable while we waited for the show to start.

I don't know what Ferg was actually thinking, but he was very polite to us.  He showed us an area he suggested we wait in.  "Away from the rangers.  Their language might be vulgar."  I thought about his life.  He'd probably been shot at, jumped out of airplanes, ran with the vulgar rangers, marched through the night going into enemy territory, and most likely knew some other words than the ones he used when speaking to ladies.



Then I looked at the other people I was with, the beautiful wives of the soldiers,  their pretty faces and soft hands,  the sweet little innocent children.  I tried to fit the worlds together in my mind.  It was hard until I realized, this world of wives and children is what the soldiers fight for.



Alma 46:12  "In memory of our God, our religion, and freedom, and our peace, our wives, and our children"
Sometimes my heart feels heavy when I think of my son in Afghanistan with a gun and a mission to destroy the enemy, but then it gives way to gratitude.  Our country and our freedom and our families need to be protected.  Thank you, Daniel and friends, for being  the protectors.


Well, on with the day. I had heard there's a lot of hurry up and wait in the military so it went according to protocol.  There had been more lightning since the last report, and the men were instagramming pictures of themselves waiting in the airplane.  We girls had time to drive back to a gas station and use the rest room, sit in the cars and talk, and basically have a nice time.

Then the moment came.  Ferg informed us that because of weather, the planes would be coming from the opposite direction.  That put the airplane door on our side of the field, so that was a plus.  Then Ferg said, "Royal, first pass, 3rd jump.  Colonel Traxler and Daniel, second pass, 4th and 5th jump."  I got that explained to me and readied my camera.

We heard the rumble of the airplane before we saw it.  The soldiers and parachutes jumping one by one into the sky was an impressive sight.  And it's possible that I was a little proud that one of the soldiers was my son.  All went well.  They landed without incident, gathered their gear and started hiking back to the road.

After a short wait it was time for the pinning on.  Daniel pulled roses out of his back pack for his wife.  (There are always roses but not usually jumped in.)

  Next from the back pack came the flag for a backdrop for the oath of office.  Two soldiers held the flag and the Colonel gave Daniel the oath.  Since we were just a handful of people standing around a field in Georgia I was surprised at the emotion I felt when my son said something like this, "I Daniel Paul Stoker, having been appointed an officer in the Air Force of the United States, in the grade of Major do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign or domestic, that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservations or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office upon which I am about to enter; So help me God."



My son is supporting and defending the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, serving in true faith and allegiance.  And now I know, good soldiers serve because they love not because they hate.




1 comment:

Melissa said...

Beautiful post! Daniel has a lovely family and looks happy- glad to have men like him defending our country and constitution! :)