Saturday, February 15, 2014

Happy Birthday Charlie

Cute little Charlie, I mean pretty big little Charlie, came to our family after I had left the house.  I was spending a semester at BYU Hawaii. This was a long time ago...before cell phones. I lived in a dorm where  there were 2 phones total per floor and we couldn't dial out.  The people who lived by the phones got tired of answering and finding and delivering so pretty much if you thought someone was going to call you, you needed to stay within ring's reach.  I knew Mom's baby was due so I hung out by the phone for a couple of days.  I was so excited when I got the call: 1.That I got the call and 2. That the call came.  Charles Brigham Miller was born.  My dad had always wanted a Pete and Charlie.  He had to wait till number 7 to get a Pete and number 8 brought Charlie.  

Charlie loved his mama.  He used to call under her door at night with his little fingers reaching saying, "Sleep to me, Mom, sleep to me." Since I was in college, I counted on my sister Susie to give me the Charlie report.  I was jealous that I was missing all the cute things he said.  I do remember going home at Christmas and being at church with the family.  I had been learning about correct parenting and wanted to practice positive reinforcement on Charlie.  He was behaving well so I whispered in his ear, "Charlie you're being a good boy."  He jumped up and started running around yelling, "I'm not a good little boy, I'm not a good little boy!"  He is a good boy, he just doesn't like to get bossed around.  




Charlie is a talented kid.  He's smart and athletic, but his best talent could very well be his dancing.  What do you think?
















Even though Charlie and I never lived at home at the same time I was blessed to live an hour away from him, when he was in dental school inPittsburgh and we lived in Morgantown, WV.  My kids and I loved visits from uncle Charlie.  He taught us how to play Insane and Mexican Train Dominoes. My favorite day with Charlie was when he agreed to speak at Rebecca's baptism.  Unfortunately, her special day was accompanied by a substantial snow storm.  I assumed we wouldn't see him that day, but he got in his car, braved the roads, and arrived in time to make a little girl and big sister very happy.  Charlie is kind, and dedicated, and funny and still very good.  Thanks for being a great brother.  I love you.

Charlie's beautiful wife, Meg



No comments: