Thursday, March 13, 2014

What kind of preacher sits in first class on the way to Panama City Beach?

On Monday, after teaching my early morning seminary class, I drove on up to the airport, parked in economy parking, and walked a long, long way to the security line.  I'm not complaining about the walk because it's not like I exercise too much.  Getting through security was a snap. (I don't always say that) I hopped on the plane train for a few seconds and landed at gate B.  I was happy that I only had to go to B-4 except (listen up everyone) at ATL the B gates start at 1 million and work backwards.  Yes, I had to walk past 999,996 gates.  You know it's true.  Anyways, flying standby is fun because you're never bored.  You don't have to worry about reading or striking up a conversation with a stranger while you wait to board, you keep your eye on the screen and stare with rapt attention as the names start to clear for travel.  One never knows if one will actually be flying that day, even if that person did just walk miles and miles to gate B-4.  Sometimes my name never gets on the green cleared screen, it just stays on the blue list-blue for feel blue because you're going nowhere. But, today was going to be my lucky day.  Not only was I cleared, I was upgraded.  Little ol' me was flying first class-seat 1-A baby.

 There's one thing you need to know about mormons.  We like to share our faith.  Being a stay at home mom doesn't give me as many opportunities as I'd like, so I look forward to flying and being out in society.  I prepare myself by bringing a Book of Mormon and praying that I'll sit by someone who would like to talk to me about my church.  With that in mind, I was happy when the man sitting next to me was friendly. I don't like to disturb people with work to do or movies to watch or no interest in talking to a 50 + mormon mother of 9 that likes to talk about her children and grandchildren and God.

But, like I said, it was my lucky day.  After all were boarded, my friendly seat mate became a bit busy taking notes from his I-pad.  I was going to leave him alone until after my nosy glance I recognized that he was reading the Bible.  I smiled a little that my coincidental travelling companion was probably a preacher.  Oh well, might as well start a conversation.  So I brilliantly asked, "Are you a preacher?"  He responded, "Yes, do you know the Lord?" I confirmed, "Yes, I do."  His next question was, "What church do you like to go to?" I told him,"The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints-the Mormons." What happens next is always interesting.   I feel like I have so much in common with members of other Christian faiths, but sometimes this view is not shared.  Pastor 1-B was undeterred, "So what do you think the biggest differences are between your faith and my faith?" As I began to answer I realized that first I wanted to talk about what was the same, and I told him so. "I believe that Jesus Christ is my Savior and it's through his sacrifice that I have been redeemed.  He bought me with his blood so I am his.  I will show my love and gratitude by serving him and his children all my days." I love and read the Bible, but in addition to this.. we have the Book of Mormon, another Testament of Christ."
 A lively conversation ensued, with him teaching me some of what he shares with his congregation (he prays to sit by someone on the airplane to talk to about God also.) He asked me more questions, some of which he wanted me to answer and some of which he wanted to answer.  I hope I was able to clarify some misconceptions he had about the doctrine of my faith. I shared some of what I love about my church. There were doctrinal points that we had to disagree on, but much of what was said was edifying and confirming that Jesus Christ is the truth, the way and the life. I enjoyed our hour together very much and came away convinced that all Christians and good people of society should join together for causes that will strengthen the moral fiber of our communities.
As it was getting close to landing time a thought occurred to me, "What kind of preacher rides first class to Panama City Beach?" My question was soon answered.  He gave me his card with his e-mail address and told me that if I e-mailed him he'd send me his book.  I didn't recognize his name, but I kept his card and googled him when I got home.  The kind of preacher that rides first class is the kind of preacher who was president of the Southern Baptist Convention for 2 years, wrote 6 books and preaches on the Church Channel every Sunday and is broadcast to 50 states and 122 countries.  I guess that's what happens when a Mormon mom and a famous evangelical pastor both pray on the same morning that they can sit by someone that wants to talk about their faith.  I'm pretty sure heaven was smiling.

4 comments:

Rachel said...

Great story!

The Stanley's said...

You make lots of people smile!

Unknown said...

I love this story.Do you know how good writer you are?

Joshua Erickson said...

I like this! It is great that you both prayed. Just recently a man named Albert Mohler (president of the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary) came and spoke at BYU. It was quite interesting to listen to him, I really enjoyed it. :) Here are two links you can look at. One is his website and the other is BYU's. I give you both because I believe that each website has good additional information other than the forum address by Dr. Mohler.

http://www.albertmohler.com/2014/02/25/strengthen-the-things-that-remain-human-dignity-human-rights-and-human-flourishing-in-a-dangerous-age-an-address-at-brigham-young-university/

http://speeches.byu.edu/