Last weekend, as you recall, was Labor Day, a lovely extra Monday added to the beauty of Saturday and Sunday that also contribute to a short 4 day week...woot. Paul and the kids stayed in Atlanta to celebrate Labor while I celebrated in Savannah with my 8 yr. old and 2 yr. old grandsons.
When big brother got home we all sat on the couch and fried our little brains with Star Wars Lego Wii. I'm the grandma so I said "Yes." Sorry, children this is how it goes...Mom says "No". Grandma says "Yes." It's totally fair.
We did go outside for some detox time to swing and water the plants which turned into watering themselves and Grandma, but no worries, It was a million degrees with 1,000 % humidity. We had an amazing dinner of chicken nuggets, pesto pasta, watermelon and cucumbers. I know cucumbers are cousins to watermelon and might not be ideal plate mates, but I'm the grandma and it's the weekend. When 2 yr. old went to bed, the rest of us (8 yr. old and I) played Disney Monopoly. 8 yr. old was a slick wheeler dealer and offered to buy the railroads for me if he landed on them in exchange for a Monopoly. He was a worthy opponent.
Saturday morning was adventure time. Well, it was an adventure for Grandma. I've been to the Savannah area several times without actually seeing downtown Savannah. I have friends who go to Savannah as a destination, so I wanted to see what the fuss was all about. Grandsons had been downtown and told me that all it was was boring walking around. We compromised and I told them we would stay in the car and just look at the historical sites from our windows. It was a deal. The other part of the bargain was that we would also go to Tybee Island for 20 minutes then we could come home. They were brave. I got my tour. They got most of the Saturday to stay at home and play, and we had more fun during our 20 minute beach stay than anticipated.
Saturday afternoon was Monopoly with the 8 yr. old and the 2 yr. old. Toddlers can totally play Monopoly, they just get to shake the dice after every person and they get to be 6 guys. The main rule is that they can't kill the real tokens and crush them off the board. Otherwise the game is really long, all that picking up Snow White from under the table and remembering where she was on the board We took intense game playing breaks periodically with Hide and Seek and exercises. I ramped up my hiding skills playing with 2 yr. old. He counts to 3 and keeps his eyes open. We got really fast and tricky.
We sang "Do as I'm Doing" a lot (It never gets old) and I introduced them to planks, which I have to do every day. It's my ticket to facebook.
![]() |
| 2 yr. old can hold his plank for a long time. |
Sunday morning we went to church where I received lots of compliments from strangers about my sweet boys. Who doesn't love that?
More games in the day, picking up toys again, and then time for surprises. 2 year old's surprise was a hero costume which led to movie making. 8 yr. old's surprise was an animal balloon kit. We popped a lot of balloons, but made a lot of balloons too. The light saber was the favorite. We wanted some butterflies, but Grandma kept failing on the wings. I'll have to practice.
The next day we played...you guessed it...Disney Monopoly. It was just getting exciting when son and daughter-in-law came home. And then I drove to my house and the weekend was over. XOXOX
And then, after 4 days of business, it was the weekend again! That's what's great about life. And this weekend we did this:
Aly sang and Rebecca accompanied
a musical number at the SW Public Affairs
meeting.
A night on the town because it's Saturday.
And tomorrow is Monday and I'm going to make it great and do my best and find joy in every moment and then reward myself for my good attitude with another weekend.


















No comments:
Post a Comment