Coming Home is one of life's best moments. I believe it will be one of the next life's best moments also. So this blog is dedicated to what I view as the best moments of life.
I know my life is perfect. I live in the USA. My husband is employed. I'm healthy. I have 9 perfect children, 6 perfect children in law, and 7 perfect grandchildren. The list goes on and on, but sometimes I worry about my perfect children and their choices and their schedules and life and money and the appointments I've missed and the awkward things I've said and the awesome things I should have but didn't do, and that list really goes on and on. Just like in Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows' "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society," "My worries travel about my head on their well worn path." This is not new, but I really like to keep myself in a healthy and happy place. It just works better for all concerned. I do pretty well but sometimes my wee little brain and heart reach their worry limit and sadness starts settling in. This was my state this weekend. When I find myself in this state I immediately try and fight myself free. It helps a little, but do you know what really saves me? Little day makers from people in my world, all gifts from God. So if you want to be a day maker and turn someone's frown upside down, here are some ideas:
1. Leave a note.
And if someone vacuums that note. Leave another one.
2. If you go to someone's house for church business, stay a little longer. Sit on the couch and chat a little. It's nice to hear someone's thoughts other than my own.
3. If you can make music, do it. As often as you can. It might be just what someone's heart needed.
4. Call your mom and ask her if she wants to Skype. She does.
5. If you're 5 years old and cute and waiting for the bus, wave at the lady who drives by on her way to seminary every day. She will always wave back, and she will smile for a long time.
6. Walk with your fellow seminary teacher and show her new beautiful places.
Do these little things and people will remember God loves them because you were kind, and they'll be happy again.
1 comment:
Poetry
Post a Comment