Thursday, December 18, 2014

2014 Christmas Letter




So I’m doing the thing I don’t believe in, digital Christmas cards. Hopefully next year I’ll be back in envelope licking and stamp buying, but we’re on a bit of a spending freeze so here is your 2014 Stoker Christmas letter.

The good news is Paul is back in GA. He lived in NM and TN last year and commuted home most weekends.  Paul and I both learned some things with this arrangement. Paul learned that it’s not that fun to cook for yourself, although he’s very good at lasagna and chicken enchiladas. Also, he still really likes to play tennis.  He missed his family, but drowned his sorrows in tennis lessons and tournaments. Sadly, that came to a temporary end when he tore his ACL. But, he had it repaired and is recovering like a champ.

I learned that all those years of my putting Paul’s cereal box away was not really helping him.  When I visited him I discovered that he really wants it left on the table so it’s ready for him in the morning. I also learned that husbands and dads are a big deal and weekend visits aren’t as good as living together all the time. Did I mention that getting the oil changed and taking the car in to the shop is a traumatic experience?  About killed me.

Here are a couple more things that I have learned. Plantains are good on tacos. If you pay a little more for Christmas lights you don’t have to buy them every year. Just because you are ½ a mile from your home doesn’t mean you won’t get a speeding ticket and that is very expensive. If you are stuck in the Salt Lake airport you can get a fire-grilled steak taco at CafĂ© Rio for 3 dollars. Cars that break down really help you appreciate the car that starts and drives and stops and has no lights flashing. Talk to people because they matter. Babies cry, but then they don’t. They grow up and leave your house in complete stillness. Luckily they come back to visit and bring more babies, and that’s good.

Speaking of babies, Rebecca is awesome. She is happy and good and trying to grow up and leave like the others.  I’m trying to act casual, but it will be a sad day when she doesn’t come singing through the door. In light of her efforts to grow up, I will be placing more emphasis on teaching her home skills. I guess she can live on yogurt, cheese, Mini Wheats and apples, but she might need a couple of meals up her sleeve. This is her first year in school chorus.  She is working on her vibrato (aren’t we all?) and sings much louder in the shower than ever before. I’ve got to watch her though, sometimes she reads scriptures and writes in her journal when she’s supposed to be doing her homework.

Gabe is also awesome. He’s getting pretty smart for a guy who says he doesn’t like to learn.  I told him I was applying to be a substitute  teacher.  With a concerned look he commented, “Hopefully you won’t have to do math because, well, you know, you’re better in other areas.” Code for “You’ve never answered a math homework question yet.” The other night at dinner he observed, “This knife is made in Brazil.  Why don’t they make anything in the USA except notebooks?” He’s loving and kind. When I was having Rebecca clean her room I said, “Rebecca, I want your room to be as beautiful as you are.” Gabe’s comment was, “That’s really beautiful. That’s 10, no, 11 times more beautiful.”

Andrew is in Provo, UT. He worked at Vivint full time this fall, so he can go back to UVU in January.  He played Lacrosse with the UVU club team.

Eliza and Joseph and beautiful baby Hyrum live in Omaha, NE. Joseph is in his 2nd year of Dental School at Creighton. Eliza is a stay at home mom.

Jacob is finishing up at BYU. Isla was born in Nov. Alexa stays home with the cute one.

Aaron is in his 2nd year of Dental school at UNLV. Sweet Lucy was born in Oct. and her mom, Clarissa stays home.


Nathan is in his 3rd year of Med school at UT in Houston. Ariane graduated this year and is working as a Physical Therapist.

Brandon works for Nike in Portland. After a rough pregnancy for Mallory, Amazing Eli was born in April. He joined Annabelle-6, Josh-4, and Isaac-2.


Daniel lives in Savannah, GA now, but will be moving to Panama City Beach, FL sometime this year.  He will be leaving the military to work for the reserves and fly for a private company. Erica has been very successful in her photography business and stays at home with Caleb-8 and Landon-2.
(Why yes, I do love costumes.)

4 comments:

Mary Jones said...

Laurie, I know this is a true test to see who is a regular on the blog. Haha. I am so happy that I came your way. The letter was fabulous as usual and the costumes were even better. Have a Merry Christmas!

Unknown said...

Always love your newsletter. And I'm OK with digital Christmas cards ;-). Love hearing about your awesome family. Love you guys! Merry Christmas!

Jennifer said...

AHH now my christmas is complete....I do love your letters missy stoker and such fabulous kiddos :)

Rachel said...

Love your letters! You have a wonderful family!