This week I only had 1 prearranged subbing gig where I knew ahead of time where I'd be. The other 3 were my calling after seminary to find out what was available. Who says I don't like an adrenaline rush every morning? I think most of all, I like the fact that they're desperate and will feel thankful just to have someone come in and will be forgiving of my inexperience. Well it turns out that's exactly what they needed to be.
When I substituted in music it started out so great. I showed the videos the teacher had predetermined which taught me all about singing the Blues...12 bars of 4 beats, 3 chords and a special scale, and Reggae...accent on the 2nd and 4th beat, strumming up, and a message about peace and love. I had a nice quiet lunch and then went to show the videos again and got this terrifying message "Session expired, enter user name and password." Well I panicked and did what any self-respecting sub would do. I called the office. Yes I did. They sent the IT person in who said, 'Um. I can't help you." At that point I desperately started thinking of alternate activities and only came up with a rhythm game which I thought lasted for longer than it actually did and then promptly lined the students up about 15 minutes early. As I was standing at the door, the parapro who had oriented me that morning walked by and asked how it was going. I described my predicament and she saved me with this amazing information. "The user name and password is on the top of the teacher's directions."Ugh. Of course. The instructions. What a great hiding place. Okay, that was embarrassing.
Yesterday, I taught a 4th grade class. Things were going along normally (for a sub) with me trying to keep control and direct the students in their activities and stay friendly but firm, when a boy raised his had and said, "These people are being disrespectful. They would never act this way for the teacher." Okay, that hurt. Apparently the noise and disruption level that I tolerate is not the level that is ideal for learning. I spent all of my lunch hour thinking about what my goals were as a substitute teacher. I didn't just want to be the babysitter. I wanted to help the kids learn, feel safe, be happy and also help the teacher maintain the expectations established. It is time for me to ramp up my skills. On the other hand, I feel that sometimes we're too strict and make silence the most valued attribute. So I've considered the teachers' positions and the students' positions and how much influence I can really have in one day. Here are my new resolves:
1. Read all the instructions. All of them. Even if the parapro explained them to me.
2. Learn the school rules
3. Have interesting activities for lining up. We spend a lot of time lining up.
4. If I have a home room, learn the names. Have a name game, use labels.
5. Have a discipline plan, leverage my assets, which as a sub aren't many...recess, lining up first, passing out papers, reward with sticky notes.
6. Keep and show my sense of humor
7. Be thankful for the great things I get to learn and experience by being with children:
Monday-Excellence should be encouraged. I was walking a little boy to another class.
As we were walking, he was twirling. I thought he was showing great coordination and motor planning. One of the teachers looked out her door and asked him, "Is that how we walk down the hall?" Okay, call me a rebel, but isn't it more educational to twirl and walk than just walk?
Tuesday-I don't think sitting in a desk for 7 hours a day is a match for some students' dispositions. I noticed some boys who were working pretty well in periods 2 and 3 but were about ready to explode by period 5-6. I'm trying to think of a way to give them a little activity without all that energy blowing into a storm. I'm still working on it, but for what it's worth, I feel ya, bud.
Thursday-Music is great for everyone. Don't ever let it be eliminated from the schools.
Friday-The adult world is so predictable. If you want magic in your life, spend time with a child.
One student walked up to me and said," I want you to wear this ring. It matches your outfit and your eyes." Another girl gave me this delicious cookie, which was exactly what I needed. In the cafeteria, a sweet beautiful girl from church came up and gave me a hug, it was the other thing I needed.
Don't be afraid to be different, like the little boy who told me he didn't need a jacket to go outside for recess. "I'm not like other people. I don't get cold. My parents lived in MN and my uncle lives in Alaska"
So after all this learning and making mistakes and contemplating the areas I need to improve, I'm not going to be the confused new girl any more. I'm gong to be the prepared, well-read, tricks-up-her-sleeve, sub who rocks.
Labels
Children
(88)
Happy Birthday
(46)
For Moms
(39)
Grandchildren
(38)
Siblings
(32)
Holiday
(22)
Family History
(21)
2013
(20)
Inspirational
(19)
Robert Miller
(19)
2015
(16)
Janet Miner
(16)
2020
(15)
2016
(14)
2014
(13)
music
(12)
2012
(9)
Subbing
(9)
2017
(7)
2019
(7)
2018
(5)
Christmas
(5)
Neices and Nephews
(5)
garden
(5)
2022
(4)
My childhood
(4)
nieces and nephews
(4)
Graduation
(3)
Ila Casto
(3)
Mother's Day
(3)
Wedding
(3)
2021
(2)
Aaron
(2)
Book List
(2)
Children 2014
(2)
Don Stoker
(2)
Gabe Stoker
(2)
Janus Miller
(2)
Manly program
(2)
Paul Stoker
(2)
Book review
(1)
Caroline Margaret Larsen
(1)
Christina Gregerson
(1)
Covid-19
(1)
Hans Peter Hansen Miller
(1)
Jeanne Wallace
(1)
Marriage
(1)
Portland
(1)
Sam
(1)
San Diego
(1)
Stoker nieces and nephews
(1)
Stoker siblings
(1)
Tamma Murfee Miner
(1)
Thanksgiving
(1)
Thoughts
(1)
Vernon Fawson
(1)
You know you're a Miller
(1)
parents
(1)
recipes
(1)
Saturday, March 7, 2015
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment