Saturday, March 14, 2015

"She'd been boiled down to a good strong broth." Handful in "Invention of Wings." by Sue Monk Kidd

After reading the metaphor of a good strong broth I had to stop and write it on a piece of paper. I wish I had a reading journal that contained all my favorite quotes from books, but instead I write on sticky notes, any of several notebooks that I use for lessons, church, grocery lists, budgets (I forget where they are and what they're for), a random pamphlet I may have picked up from a museum, strips of paper saved for scraps... because that's the kind of girl I am. It could be called random, but I like to call it spontaneous, or maybe not inclined to move from my reading posture. That's what blogs are for, right? So my blogging tip for the day is, "Let's get cute reading journals" We could record titles, authors, date, and our favorite quotes, plus our thoughts on each book we read.

"The Invention of Wings." is a well-written historical fiction based on the lives of Sarah and Angelina Grimke. They are both abolitionists and suffragettes. If you were to ask me if I recommend this book I would say, "Yes," but I need to qualify that although I do believe in abolition and suffrage, To me there is nothing more important than a woman's devotion to husband and family. I do not agree with the message of, "I could not have him and myself both."

When I read, my number one goal is to be inspired. I don't mind being informed or entertained, but not at the cost of being motivated to be a better person. I tolerate a cautionary tale, but I prefer courageous heroes.With that in mind, I am constantly evaluating the morals of the characters and looking for attributes that I would like to develop, and I love it when the author writes a passage that enlightens.

Here are some of those passages:

"Every man is guilty of all the good he didn't do." Voltaire

"Isn't flexibility more perfect than stasis?"

"My affliction wouldn't stop me. It would compel me. It would make me strong. For I would need to be strong. 'Please, God, let the seed you planted in me bear fruit."

"There is no pain on earth that doesn't crave a benevolent witness."

"Was it so wrong to put feet to my prayers?"

"We must not think so much of heaven that we do not think this life is important."

"This ain't the Sarah who left here. She had a firm look in her eye and her voice didn't dither and hesitate like it used to. She'd been boiled down to a good strong broth."

This reminds me of the parable of the silversmith in the Bible. I might even like it better since I've actually made broth but have not purified silver. I picture the soup, watery and flavorless, but as it simmers on the heat under the watchful eye of the creator, the weak liquids evaporate and the savor intensifies, nourishing and wholesome.

We've been doing a bit of simmering over at the Stoker house, as I'm sure you have.  We have sickness, financial challenges, house repairs, etc. But there have been some wonderful additions to our soup as well. I randomly talked to a person with a recommendation for a health issue I had not previously known about. On Thursday, I subbed in the most wonderful position on the planet after a couple of tough days and a cold coming on. Wednesday was a lovely day in the temple sealing ancestors to their parents. Both children contributed to music sounding from the piano this week. Plus there are birds singing on the branches outside my window, and my children weeded the flower bed willingly this morning. Strong broth indeed.




No comments: