Okay, it's no secret that I am sad that Mitt Romney is not the President of the United States. I mean, he's so talented and intelligent and he could have been working for us. I was giddy at the thought, until election night when I became very ungiddy. In my efforts to process my disappointment I started listening to his book, "No Apology." I guess I felt that since he wasn't going to be in charge, I needed to learn all I could from him, because I kind of feel we're on our own. Anyway, he is brilliant, and I am learning much. His writings have also helped me acquire clarity on my view of war and the military. I'm kind of squeamish when it comes to conflict and death. My military son and I have a deal. He doesn't tell me what I don't want to hear. As a mother I follow my natural instincts which are protection of the species, particularly my members of the species. I mean, can't we all just get along? "Swords into plowshares" etc. My goal is still world peace, but I realize that freedom is worth fighting for. As a country we need to be prepared to defend our freedom from those would take it from us. And we can't be naive in thinking there aren't those people in the world.
I love the movie, "Sound of Music" mostly because I want my life to be like Maria's. I want to teach my children to sing in the alps and harmonize in the carriage and bring peace and love into the home with songs that solve every problem. I didn't really like the Nazi theme. It was such a downer to the singing and dancing and love story. On reflection I realize that I can be a bit like the character, Uncle Max, at times. Louisa: "Is Father going to be in trouble?" Max: "He doesn't have to be. The thing to do these days is to get along with everyone." Max: "What's going to happen if going to happen. Just make sure it doesn't happen to you." George: "Don't ever say that again!" Max: "I have no political convictions. Can I help it if other people do?" George: "Oh yes you can help it. You must help it." I now appreciate George and his convictions even if he is a little cranky.
Mitt Romney said, "The objective for the USA is strength, not popularity." I'm inspired by Governor Romney and other's willingness to sacrifice for our country. He really had nothing to gain from running for president. I believe he did it because of love of freedom and country. "Who more than self their country loved and mercy more than life." I now ask myself, what can I give my country? I give, but for the most part it's in ways that are comfortable to me. I want to prepare myself to give in ways that may not be comfortable. To openly stand for the values I hold dear when I may face not just unpopularity, but persecution.
The movie Lion King is symbolic of many beautiful truths and more than one speaker has referred to the message, "Remember who you are." Upon my last listening (Gabe was watching it in the back seat during a short road trip) I was struck with the conversation between Pumba and the just rescued young Simba. Pumba said, "When the world turns it's back on you, you turn your back on the world." Simba mumbles, "That's not what I was taught." They continue to train him in "Hakuna Matata" until he has rendered himself useless. "Hakuna Matata" is a very tempting idea. We are lured into a state of a constant search for entertainment and disdain for hard work, until we are weak and unmotivated and serving mostly ourselves. This is the opposite of patriotism and love of God and man. We need to leave people and places better than we found them and then in turn, we will leave a better person because of our service.
Another idea that I have always believed but feel called to act upon is that there is truth and right and falsehoods and wrong and we need to know the difference and be willing to stand for it and talk about it. Some issues are moral and eternal and seem easy to discern. Others are temporal and circumstantial and the solutions can be complicated. Either way, we need to research, ponder and choose. We may make mistakes, but we can't let the mistake be failure to take a stand and act. In our community at present there is a school budget problem. It needs to be balanced and there is disagreement as to the best way to achieve this. Obviously, no one wants to give up their schools, conveniences, programs, etc. It looks messy and I was thinking, "I'm glad I don't have to make this decision." I now believe that as citizens we need to think like leaders and listen and consider the ramifications and get involved in the discussion in hopes that more perspectives and ideas can bring better solutions. I want to not only not be part of the problem. I want to be part of the solution and look beyond my little world into my neighborhood, city, state and nation and past this second into tomorrow, next year, next decade and eternity.
Thank you Mitt and Ann Romney for inspiring me to give more to the future of America and the values I hold dear. And thank you to the veterans and all serving in the military for sacrificing your life to defend my freedom.
Labels
Children
(88)
Happy Birthday
(46)
For Moms
(39)
Grandchildren
(38)
Siblings
(32)
Holiday
(22)
Family History
(21)
2013
(20)
Inspirational
(19)
Robert Miller
(19)
2015
(16)
Janet Miner
(16)
2020
(15)
2016
(14)
2014
(13)
music
(12)
2012
(9)
Subbing
(9)
2017
(7)
2019
(7)
2018
(5)
Christmas
(5)
Neices and Nephews
(5)
garden
(5)
2022
(4)
My childhood
(4)
nieces and nephews
(4)
Graduation
(3)
Ila Casto
(3)
Mother's Day
(3)
Wedding
(3)
2021
(2)
Aaron
(2)
Book List
(2)
Children 2014
(2)
Don Stoker
(2)
Gabe Stoker
(2)
Janus Miller
(2)
Manly program
(2)
Paul Stoker
(2)
Book review
(1)
Caroline Margaret Larsen
(1)
Christina Gregerson
(1)
Covid-19
(1)
Hans Peter Hansen Miller
(1)
Jeanne Wallace
(1)
Marriage
(1)
Portland
(1)
Sam
(1)
San Diego
(1)
Stoker nieces and nephews
(1)
Stoker siblings
(1)
Tamma Murfee Miner
(1)
Thanksgiving
(1)
Thoughts
(1)
Vernon Fawson
(1)
You know you're a Miller
(1)
parents
(1)
recipes
(1)
Saturday, November 10, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Excellent Laurie! You have a gift of putting into words what many of us are just mulling over as thoughts. I agree 100% with your whole post. I'm ready to ACT - not be acted upon.
Post a Comment