Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Happy Birthday Ariane!






Nathan always says we moved to Minnesota for him.  That's where we met the Ostvigs, and Amy Ostvig was friends with Ariane Black, and Nathan fell in love with Ariane Black.  And then he married her, and now he's the happiest man on the planet.
Amy Ostvig's birthday party

We first met Ariane after Christmas 2008.  She came to Alabama for a visit.  We loved having her with us and she was a very good sport.  She went with us to the airport to pick up Aaron from Korea and took pictures for us.  She sang carols with the family around the piano and participated in our the nativity tradition.  We didn't know then if she was going to be part of our family, but we knew we would be lucky if she was.


The first thing we noticed about Ariane was how sweet she was. She also has a quiet resolve that leads her to reach her goals.    She had always wanted to serve a mission and after prayer and consideration she decided she would continue with that desire.  Nathan was happy for her, but sad for him.  She received a call to Chile where she served faithfully with courage and love.

Ari opening her mission call.

It looks a bit damp.


I'm not saying that Nathan was counting the days until she got home, but I'm pretty sure everyone on BYU campus knew the date of Hermana Black's return. After 18 months she came home, and  Nathan paid the Black's a visit, and the rest is history.




We've learned some more things about Miss Ariane since she's been in our family.  One thing we've learned is that she's good at things.  I guess that quiet determination combined with lots of gifts yields results.

She made her own wedding cake (another dream she had.)












The winning team at the family reunion
When we played family frisbee last Thanksgiving it was amazing and a bit annoying that wherever Nathan threw the frisbee Ariane was there to catch it.  She has surprising speed and of course determination.

Ariane is applying that quiet determination to complete her physical therapy program.  She has been going strong and only has a little over a year to go.  




Today I mentioned that Ariane's birthday was tomorrow.  Gabe said, "Ariane is cheerful and fun."  He's right.  







 After our family reunion last summer my sister told me that they asked their children who they had gotten to know better.  Her little girl said, "I feel like I got close to Ariane."  Everyone loves Ariane, but especially children.  She and Nathan teach in the Nursery at church.  Nathan says Ariane is the reason the children like coming to class.  I've seen her in action.  She really knows how to make a child smile.






If you follow this blog, it sounds like all my married children chose fantastic people, and you know what?  They did. I'm blessed beyond measure, and I love them like my own children.

Ariane Stoker, it's so nice to have you in our family. I love you.  Happy Birthday!


1 comment:

Jennifer said...

SIGH....I am loving getting to know your awesome family better....who's birthday is tomorrow? :)