My dear mother is the best of all moms, probably in the universe. She’s shared her wisdom and humor with us in a series of well-written blog posts. While she is not yet reached the masses, of which all will soon convert to become adoring fans, the time has come for her to have a guest blogger, who can exclaim just how awesome she is. So with that lengthy introduction, I am pleased to be blogging in a tribute to Laurie Stoker on mother’s day.
My mom is the best, straight up. But seriously, no one can deny that Laurie Stoker is an accomplished mother. She’s raised 9 kids, 7 boys and 2 girls, with such a wide range of personalities and traits. She has done so while living in 10 different states (people always just assume I come from military tradition with the frequency of her moves). Her mothering style is an art that is in constant improvement, but throughout her legacy, she maintains and defines some traits that are exemplary in motherhood: unconditional love, selflessness, family organization and efficiency, and fun-loving and generating personality.
My mom loves unconditionally; she’s actually a rock star at this. With 7 different male personalities (not all of us humble or considerate) transitioning from the adorable 2 year old stage to the probably annoying stage (insert an age from 6-18 here), she endured more than her fair share of challenging moments (I was probably responsible for an above average amount of these). But, I remember my mom being the most patient and loving person. As I look back, now a parent myself, I realize how patient and loving she truly was. Her expression of love was patience and acceptance, no matter what and in every situation. I know where ever I am or whatever I do, my mom will always love me.
Mom is selfness and sacrificial. It’s actually part of her ethos, and not just a buzzword. Most recently, she braved 4000 miles of Pacific Ocean and sleepless nights (and time changed days) to come and see her newest grandchild, Landon. She casually said, it was the “standard Grandma visit.” Although I don’t consider 17 hours of travel across 13 time-zones standard. While there, she was up whatever time of night or day if Landon would cry to try to give me and Erica a break. I know how wacky circadian rhythms can get when traveling, and I know that was a sacrifice. Laurie casually accomplishes the selflessness of motherhood, she makes it look easy because it is who she is, not what she makes herself do.
There is an art to parenting, and my mother is a master artist. When I get out of the military, I intend to make a $1,000,000 forcing my mom to write down her parenting techniques in a book. Just kidding. . . .but seriously. She organizes the home with clear objectives in mind, sets goals and policies to accomplish those objectives, and then executes day-to-day operations in accordance with her policies and goals. (that sounded very analytically and structured, but in truth many of her objectives are emotional and spiritual so it’s not military camp;)). Our family has a mission statement I still remember: To create a safe place where our family can grow relationally, physically, emotionally, mentally and spiritually (paraphrase). If our actions were contrary to our mission statement, they were adjusted by a variety of means, some of which are legendary. That said, most reactions were proportional, character building, constructive to the home environment and easily repeatable. To the scientists or engineers out there. That means Laurie Stoker repeatedly produces quality kids time after time. The product continues to improve as the processes are refined, but the bottom line is that my mom is a professional and I am very greatful.
All that said, mom is super fun to be around and always up to party. As she’s transitioned from mother/teacher to mother/friend, I’ve enjoyed her personality and fun spirit more and more. I see it in her participation in activities that are fun for each age group (reference her blog about a fun with the Stoker kids still at home). She definitely made a memory with my son, Caleb playing Mario Kart Wii, and doubled the yearly amount of baked goods made at our house with Erica. But most of all, she is a joy just to be around: easygoing, intelligently fun, just the right amount of sarcastic, and lovingly endearing.
Happy Mother’s Day Mom, we love you
Labels
Children
(88)
Happy Birthday
(46)
For Moms
(39)
Grandchildren
(38)
Siblings
(32)
Holiday
(22)
Family History
(21)
2013
(20)
Inspirational
(19)
Robert Miller
(19)
2015
(16)
Janet Miner
(16)
2020
(15)
2016
(14)
2014
(13)
music
(12)
2012
(9)
Subbing
(9)
2017
(7)
2019
(7)
2018
(5)
Christmas
(5)
Neices and Nephews
(5)
garden
(5)
2022
(4)
My childhood
(4)
nieces and nephews
(4)
Graduation
(3)
Ila Casto
(3)
Mother's Day
(3)
Wedding
(3)
2021
(2)
Aaron
(2)
Book List
(2)
Children 2014
(2)
Don Stoker
(2)
Gabe Stoker
(2)
Janus Miller
(2)
Manly program
(2)
Paul Stoker
(2)
Book review
(1)
Caroline Margaret Larsen
(1)
Christina Gregerson
(1)
Covid-19
(1)
Hans Peter Hansen Miller
(1)
Jeanne Wallace
(1)
Marriage
(1)
Portland
(1)
Sam
(1)
San Diego
(1)
Stoker nieces and nephews
(1)
Stoker siblings
(1)
Tamma Murfee Miner
(1)
Thanksgiving
(1)
Thoughts
(1)
Vernon Fawson
(1)
You know you're a Miller
(1)
parents
(1)
recipes
(1)
No comments:
Post a Comment