So last night after we had gone to bed I thought I was developing a UTI. I went downstairs to get some cranberry juice and to read my new girl book, "Edenbrooke, a proper romance." It quickly became apparent that I was in a bit of trouble that I really just wanted to go away. I had back pain, nausea, etc. I snuck onto the internet (the computer is our bedroom) and surmised that I might have a kidney infection, and that I probably needed to be on antibiotics. Considering my options, I had the annoying realization that a trip to the emergency room was in my near future. When I woke my sweet husband, he reacted perfectly as he jumped out of bed with, "What can I get you?" I needed a priesthood blessing, a tylenol and a throw-up bowl (more TMI to come.)
Emergency rooms are just not very pleasant places, although everyone was kind. That might have been magnified by the fact that I didn't feel very well and it was in the middle of the night. The sign read, "We see patients in the order of their urgency, not on a first come-first served basis." The nice receptionist asked why I wanted to be seen and Paul answered for me since I promptly threw up into my bowl. I promise I wasn't trying to be dramatic, but I think it did the trick because I got into triage in a very timely manner. I do feel sorry for all the people in the waiting room. The only thing worse than being in the ER waiting room is being in the ER waiting room with a throwing up lady. I still have to smile at that embarrassing situation, the way they tried to look away, the thought of how I looked to them, the awkwardness goes on and on.
Anyway, the triage nurse took some blood and sent me to wait for the Dr. The whole time Paul was being so sweet. He tried to start pleasant conversation to help diffuse my discomfort. Unfortunately, I was not open to the pleasant conversation idea. It reminded me of the time I was in labor with my firstborn. He was telling me about the Heisman candidates and asking my opinion. Who wasn't interested in that topic? Well, his wife having contractions wasn't. Anyway, he continued to be patient with me, carried my purse, told me when the Dr. was there so I could come out of the bathroom, and remembered what the Dr. said so we could get the proper prescription.
When the doctor came in he confirmed our suspicions and prescribed antibiotics, anti-nausea medication and a morphine shot. Yay morphine! We got home about 3:00 am. I slept in. Paul got up at 6:15, got the kids off to school, took my stuff for Family Fun Day to the elementary school office, picked up my medication and cranberry juice, and went off to work. My hero.
Other than how thankful I am for my husband, the thing that is most evident to me is how nice it to be pain-free. I kept thinking how much I liked the time before my back started really hurting. Then I thought of all the people I love who have chronic pain. My mom has had a headache for years. That she has such a full and loving life is beyond heroic. I have an aunt and sister who suffer debilitating migraines, yet their faith in God is sure. Then I thought of the ultimate sacrifice and the pain suffered by my Savior so that I could repent and be healed and return home to live with my Father. My heart was filled with gratitude and love.
Labels
Children
(88)
Happy Birthday
(46)
For Moms
(39)
Grandchildren
(38)
Siblings
(32)
Holiday
(22)
Family History
(21)
2013
(20)
Inspirational
(19)
Robert Miller
(19)
2015
(16)
Janet Miner
(16)
2020
(15)
2016
(14)
2014
(13)
music
(12)
2012
(9)
Subbing
(9)
2017
(7)
2019
(7)
2018
(5)
Christmas
(5)
Neices and Nephews
(5)
garden
(5)
2022
(4)
My childhood
(4)
nieces and nephews
(4)
Graduation
(3)
Ila Casto
(3)
Mother's Day
(3)
Wedding
(3)
2021
(2)
Aaron
(2)
Book List
(2)
Children 2014
(2)
Don Stoker
(2)
Gabe Stoker
(2)
Janus Miller
(2)
Manly program
(2)
Paul Stoker
(2)
Book review
(1)
Caroline Margaret Larsen
(1)
Christina Gregerson
(1)
Covid-19
(1)
Hans Peter Hansen Miller
(1)
Jeanne Wallace
(1)
Marriage
(1)
Portland
(1)
Sam
(1)
San Diego
(1)
Stoker nieces and nephews
(1)
Stoker siblings
(1)
Tamma Murfee Miner
(1)
Thanksgiving
(1)
Thoughts
(1)
Vernon Fawson
(1)
You know you're a Miller
(1)
parents
(1)
recipes
(1)
Friday, May 4, 2012
Hero Saves Damsel in Distress or a little trip to the ER.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment