Sunday, May 6, 2012

"I'm having a Christmas Moment."

Waiting in the Standby Line
Last December we were in UT for my daughter's wedding.  The Sunday following the wedding our lifelong friends and we were contemplating driving from Provo to Salt Lake with the hopes of getting into the Christmas  Mormon Tabernacle Choir Sunday program.  AKA "Music and the Spoken Word"  After considering the early departure, potential crowds, cold weather, and the chance for disappointment my friend said, "I'm in."  So was I.  We gathered all family members who were interested on that dark winter morning and headed north.  We joined the other hundreds of people who were on standby in the tabernacle to await our fate.  We were on one of the front rows so I felt good about our chances.  That, and the fact that it was my friend's birthday.  Who wouldn't want to give that sweet girl her heart's desire?  We had arrived before 8:00 am.  The program started at 9:30.  At about 9:10 we got the exciting news that we were in!  With that happy thought we walked out of the tabernacle onto temple square where we were met by a beautiful nativity.  At that very time the "First Noel" loop that always played  sang out, "And let us all, with one accord."  Well that's the swell that makes you cry and I did.  It was funny because I actually think the clouds parted and we could see the beautiful mountains for just a second.  That was when my friend said, "I'm having a Christmas moment."  A Christmas moment indeed.  That's what I think of now when I think of music that opens a little window to heaven and puts my heart in the right place.  (I'm sharing "The First Noel" so you can feel the Christmas moment.)


I have a favorite hymn that always gives me a Christmas moment.  It's called "How Firm a Foundation."  I've known this song my whole life, but it didn't become my favorite until I sang the verses that were typed at the bottom of the page.  The verses that they don't usually have time to sing in church meetings.  Now this hymn is a great source of strength to me.  
 "When through the deep waters I call thee to go
The rivers of sorrow shall not thee o'er flow.
For I will be with thee, thy troubles to bless,
And sanctify to thee and sanctify to thee
And sanctify to thee thy deepest distress.

The soul that on Jesus hath leaned for repose
I will not, I cannot, desert to his foes.
That soul, though all hell shall endeavor to shake
I'll never no never, I'll never no never, I'll never no never no never forsake.


I asked some of the people I love the most what their favorite hymn was.  I wanted to know what gave them strength.  Here are their answers: (I'm still waiting for a few)  Paul-"Battle Hymn of the Republic", Daniel-"I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day" and"The First Noel"  (Good choice), Brandon- "Lead Kindly Light and Master the Tempest is Raging," Mallory- "I Stand All Amazed,  Nathan "For All the Saints," Ariane-"Praise to the Lord the Almighty,"  Aaron-"I Believe in Christ" and "I Need Thee Every Hour," Jacob- "Come, Come Ye Saints" and "Nearer My God to Thee," Eliza-"Lead Kindly Light," Joseph- "Savior Redeemer of My Soul," "Reverently and Meekly Now," "As Now We Take the Sacrament," "Praise to The Lord the Almighty," "If You Could Hie to Kolob,"  Andrew-"Praise To The Man," Rebecca- "In Humility, OurSavior," "I Need Thee Every Hour," "Poor Wayfaring Man of Grief," "I'll Go Where You Want Me to Go," "I Know That My Redeemer Lives," Gabe-"Battle Hymn of the Republic,"  Dad-"I Know My Father Lives," Mom- "There is a Green Hill Far Away," and "Battle Hymn of the Republic."  

Inspirational music is such a gift.  It's one of the first places I go when I need a "Christmas Moment."

PS  The Christmas Music and the Spoken Word was so fantastic it took my breath away.  We weren't supposed to clap, but it was so joyful it made me want to stand up and twirl.  You should go.

No comments: