Mr. Gabe is 13 today. He said, "Just think, my mom's youngest child is a teenager." And what a great teenager he is. Gabe likes Legos and Star Wars and basketball and wii just like other guys, but one of his favorite things to do is go to the "ditches." In the forest between the houses are ravines that are made even more exciting by people throwing their yard cuttings into them. Gabe would come home from school and say, "I'm going to the ditches" and I'd say "Okay." I would look out my window and see this:
Every once in a while I'd see a bit of color moving and knew he was out there, but that is about as involved as I got. When he came in from the ditches his clothes looked like this:
I'd wash them and that would be that. Periodically he told me of some of his feats in the ditches, "I cut my hand climbing up the side", or "There's this place that I jump," and then he started talking about climbing this tree. "It's high", and "I have to face my fears," and "I am climbing higher every day, but it might be dangerous if I fall." That's when Paul said, "You'd better check on that tree." So Gabe and I took a little trip out to the ditches, and he showed me his world.
And I wasn't scared at all. I was proud. I was proud that he pushes himself. He accepts where he is, and sets goals to reach a little higher. I was proud that he does not quit. The things he couldn't do yesterday he does today. Proud that he can endure discomfort or pain to progress. Playing in the ditches is like a ninja training ground where he is developing some very manly skills.
Gabe you are fantastic and you are on a solid road to becoming a great man. Thank you for coming to our family. We're all a little happier, and a lot more blessed because you're here. xoxox
No comments:
Post a Comment