Joshua Paul Stoker was born March 12, 2010. Here's a fun fact: Josh has a 2nd cousin who is also named Joshua, and both of their Dad's name is Brandon, and both of them have a Grandpa named Paul. What are the odds, right?
He was born in Iowa, but his parents soon moved to Washington DC. Josh is gifted in cause and effect. When he was 1 his parents thought it was luck that he could turn on the tv with the remote and make calls with the phone. After a lot of lucky breaks they began to suspect he knew exactly what he was doing.
| Not crying while getting his haircut. Just learning the properties of the clippers. |
Not only is it fun to push buttons on remotes, but it's also fun to push buttons on sisters. We were seeing the sights in DC and Annabelle and Josh were in the double stroller. Josh was conveniently in the back. He would pull her hair, she would scream, and he would laugh gleefully. He would pull her hair, she would scream and he would laugh gleefully. It just never got old.
That's not to say he doesn't love his sister. He adores her and does everything and says everything she does. Luckily, she's a great role model.
I don't think he's really a fan of loud strangers. Unfortunately, we (his grandparent) are loud strangers. The first year we had Thanksgiving at his house he was visibly stressed every time we came into his house. Over time he has come to recognize us, but he prefers his great life with his Mom, Dad, sister and brother to our kissy, huggy, laughy, "who the heck are these people?" family get togethers. We will continue to force ourselves on him, because we love him, and he's so darn funny and cute.
Last year Rebecca and I and Josh and his family were visiting the Naval Academy museum. We watched a short video on the bombing of Pearl Harbor. When the footage of the explosions was shown, we heard a little 2 yr. old Josh voice say, "Uh oh."
One day I asked him if he would like grapes or apples with his lunch. He confidently replied "Cookies." A few months ago, I was skyping with Josh and Annabelle in the morning. It was breakfast time. When I asked him what he was going to have for breakfast his response was "Candy." Brandon said Josh approached him and said, "Dad, I have a question. Can I have a piece of candy (pause) or not?" I actually feel a kinship with Josh because of this. I also would rather have a cookie at lunch than any other food.
Josh's nursery leader asked his mom if he's always happy. His mom realized that yes, he always is. Thanks, Josh, for teaching me to always be happy.





No comments:
Post a Comment