| Baby girl always wears an apron when she means business. |
Labels
Children
(88)
Happy Birthday
(46)
For Moms
(39)
Grandchildren
(38)
Siblings
(32)
Holiday
(22)
Family History
(21)
2013
(20)
Inspirational
(19)
Robert Miller
(19)
2015
(16)
Janet Miner
(16)
2020
(15)
2016
(14)
2014
(13)
music
(12)
2012
(9)
Subbing
(9)
2017
(7)
2019
(7)
2018
(5)
Christmas
(5)
Neices and Nephews
(5)
garden
(5)
2022
(4)
My childhood
(4)
nieces and nephews
(4)
Graduation
(3)
Ila Casto
(3)
Mother's Day
(3)
Wedding
(3)
2021
(2)
Aaron
(2)
Book List
(2)
Children 2014
(2)
Don Stoker
(2)
Gabe Stoker
(2)
Janus Miller
(2)
Manly program
(2)
Paul Stoker
(2)
Book review
(1)
Caroline Margaret Larsen
(1)
Christina Gregerson
(1)
Covid-19
(1)
Hans Peter Hansen Miller
(1)
Jeanne Wallace
(1)
Marriage
(1)
Portland
(1)
Sam
(1)
San Diego
(1)
Stoker nieces and nephews
(1)
Stoker siblings
(1)
Tamma Murfee Miner
(1)
Thanksgiving
(1)
Thoughts
(1)
Vernon Fawson
(1)
You know you're a Miller
(1)
parents
(1)
recipes
(1)
Monday, April 15, 2013
A thousand to one.
So a few weeks ago I was at my Total Body Conditioning class with Lois and I noticed this little girl (as in cute sized adult) just goin' at it a few rows away from me. She was working about twice as hard as I was. It was like she wanted to do the most she could do, and I wanted to do the least I could do. (Saving my strength and all.) A couple weeks went by, and then I realized I knew her from church. She was that pretty new girl with the 2 cute kids who I thought, "How nice that she was born looking so fantastic." Is it possible that she looks fantastic because she has put in the time and effort? Weird. It was like that memorable day when I realized my friend's house was cleaner then mine because she cleaned more. (I'm a thinker, I know.) A friend of our family always gives my kids life advice when he's sees them. The last time he saw my daughter he asked her if she had practiced that week. Then he said, "There was an athlete named "Pistol Pete. A little boy came up to him and said, "Pistol Pete, I want to be like you." Pistol Pete's response was "Where's your ball? If you're going to be like me, you have to practice like me." I guess the bottom line is for every glamorous moment there are about 1,000 very sweaty unglamorous moments. My daughter can play the piano, but it's not magic. The truth is she practices, a lot, like even on weekends. When my nephew tried out for a musical group in college and made it, it looked like a cinch. It was a cinch because he had been singing for years, in jazz choir, church, men's singers and had worked at a cafe to pay for his own voice lessons. So when we hear ourselves say, "I wish I could sing, play the guitar, play basketball, dance, organize, draw, get my degree... we can. We just need to be prepared to sweat for 1,000 minutes.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment