Monday, April 8, 2013

Spring Break-We needed that.

I know nobody feels sorry for us in the south with our Winter Break in February and Spring Break in April, but let me tell ya.  It was getting brutal around here.  Gabe needs to read 4 books by May 6, complete 3 Social Studies packets and record the moon for a month (an excruciating form of bondage).  Andrew is trying to hold on to his grades while Lacrosse season claims hours of his life daily.  I've never heard of a college reneging on an acceptance but there's always a first time.  Rebecca has a million good things going, 1/2 of which I can't even remember. I felt like we were limping along, trying to be at the right place in the right time, and not doing anything really well.  And you know what else?  Our April weather was cold, like 30's cold.  This is the south.  I can drive 5 1/2 hrs. to the Gulf of Mexico.  Doesn't that mean warmness?  Well, I guess ya can't boss the weather.  "Why does global warming always happen to me?" (It's a facebook meme.)   Spring Break couldn't get here soon enough.  The funny thing is, we didn't even have any plans. We almost went to FL to visit my sister, but had to keep Rebecca out of the sun because of a mole removal. So stayed in GA which was brilliant since there wasn't any sun..


 We had some loose plans, "Well, I could take Gabe camping" from Paul,  and "We could see some of the sights of Georgia" from me, but no one would commit.  And guess what?  The week turned out splendidly.

Day 1 The house was quiet.  Productive occupants dispersed themselves throughout the house.

Paul taking notes on a book he's reading.

Rebecca catching up on her journal.

OK, this room has no productive occupant because this occupant
was in Destin, FL trying  not be productive.   

Reading Star Wars.  Getting so close to the reading goal.

And I was at Target buying 50% off Easter Candy.
 It was on my "to do" list so we'll count it as productive.


Day 2 was off the chains.  Actually it was a bit of a dream for everyone.  Gabe played with a friend from school, and then his lifelong friend from AL came to visit.  Can you say heaven?
Rebecca cleaned the bathroom cupboard (that was a dream for me) and then figured out the guitar tabs for the lullaby from "Goin'to Zion."  (That was a dream for her.)


Tuesday's my temple day, and I went and came home before anyone needed me.

Day 4 we enjoyed our company from Alabama.  Paul didn't have/get to go camping because it was rainy and cold so we watched "American Idol" for our activity.  If you watched it, you saw Nicki Minaj ask Amber if she could borrow her jeans.  Rebecca said, "Can I borrow your jeans?  I have some pots and pans I need to wash."  If you don't watch "Idol" I respect you, but you might not understand Rebecca's comment, and it did kind of crack me up.

Thursday was wild and crazy.  Paul and Gabe practiced their shot while Rebecca practiced the organ at the church.

And I got my haircut.  The exciting thing about this is that I went to Great Clips so it only cost me 20 bucks.  I have a sad and ongoing hair dilemma.  My hair almost always looks...how to describe it?...well, lets just say, aesthetically challenged.  I've paid a lot for a cut because I was that desperate, but it didn't look that much better.  I have a regular stylist that is in the medium range, but by the time my hair hits the humidity no one can even tell I'd tried.  When I went to "Great Clips" my expectations were completely low.  As a matter of  fact, I was having a slight anxiety attack while I waited.  But then, it wasn't horrible, and the price was right, so I think I'll probably go there again.
That night we had some very fun friends over for games and a movie.  We played Perudo, a Stoker favorite. It's the dice game they play on Pirates of the Carribean.  We also played Luck of the Draw. 

  You draw the subject (with a pencil and paper) and then draw the judging category (as in draw a card).  Get it?  2 kinds of draw... anyway,  we had a few standouts:
These are some excellent noses.
  My favorite comment was when a player looked at this picture and said, "That's a weird rug."  I believe he was referring to the toilet, which is an exact replica, obviously.

This is a bathroom
And we ate some treats.  This was all that was left of a big bowl of white chocolate covered bugles and popcorn which didn't stand a chance. It was so delicious. 
This is a blog and these are the refreshments
Friday is almost always date night for Paul and I.  We changed it up a bit since Paul and Gabe wanted to go to the dollar to see "Hobbit" and Rebecca and I did not share that desire.  Off they went and Rebecca and I
had a night on the town, or more like the neighborhood.  We went to the local Mexican Restaurant and got the most delicious chips and salsa anywhere and took some selfies.  (OK I need a little practice.)


Our joy at having procured said chips and salsa.



Nos gustamos muchos
And then that awkward moment when we tried to watch TV without any boys around to work the remotes.  We knew how to watch movies, but we were trying to find Thursday's Idol from recorded TV land.  Verrry difficult, but we thought and experimented and finally met success.  Phew, that was a close one.  We almost didn't sit in front of the screen for 2 hours.


Saturday was the start of General Conference.  That means the Prophet and Apostles of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints speak to the world in five 2 hr. sessions.  It's a great day, especially for adults.  I always go online for any ideas of ways to help those with a still developing "listening to church" capacity so they can enjoy the experience more.  We've played conference Bingo and colored the speaker's ties on paper.  My kids are not young any more, but a little variety doesn't hurt.  On Pinterest someone had the idea of a different snack for each apostle that spoke.  That's 15 snacks in two days.  We didn't eat all the snacks, but it was fun hearing my family say, "When can we eat the cookies?"  "I hope it's Elder Perry.  He has the peanuts."  Okay, no one was that excited about the carrots, but I felt good about them.



Then we got our boy back from Florida and all the handsome men went off to Priesthood Meeting.  (Rebecca and I went to our special meeting for girls last Saturday.)



And Rebecca and I played on Family Tree.  Y'all should try it.  It's a blast.  


And then Sunday was fantastic and then today we (as in my children) went to school rested, relaxed and ready to face down the last 8 weeks.  I think we're going to make it.  

1 comment:

The Stanley's said...

If I didn't already love this family I would be madly in love after reading of their spring break experience! Excellent writing!