Travelling is fun, but I'm a little neurotic when it comes to packing. I've made progress in the shoe department and had no problems choosing 2 flats and some tennis shoes for any hard core activities. But, I had to take selfies to decide on my outfits. I couldn't just choose my favorite, because it may not look as good as I think it does. I had to show respect for the occasion but feel comfortable all day as I went from event to event. And weather, "Hello" It snowed in UT last week. Can I really trust the forecast of 67 degrees? I made my selections and my backup choices for "What if I spill food on myself early in the morning?" and "What if I don't feel like wearing this?" and finally closed my suitcase and let the chips fall. Okay, It was embarrassing when my kids were looking at my camera and found the pictures of my various outfits, "Mom you're not even smiling in your selfies." Ugh, I hate confessing.
Departure was gloriously uneventful. Our ride to the airport was on time. We had our IDs. We breezed through security. We skipped onto the plane, and the gentleman next to Paul even traded seats with me so we could sit together. (We purchased the tickets at different times .) We spent the 4 hour flight time taping paper accordion rosettes for my son-in-law's lei, which he kindly wore, because he's sweet like that.
Our first evening in Provo was a casual dinner with our 3 kids in our daughter's first married apartment. It was fun to be with them, and I loved being in her apartment to see the window she climbed through when she got locked out of the house, and to eat some of their seriously delicious homemade pickles, and to be reminded "Don't touch the rail." when climbing or descending the stairs. (It's just for show and balances precariously against a bolt) They've made their home cheerful and cozy and live a big life in a little space.
Thursday started with an Erickson/Stoker morning in the Provo temple. It was a joyful hour with wonderful people.
Our next event was Joseph's Honors luncheon. When asked if we were interested in attending, I jumped at the chance. Stokers believe in education and like to get good grades when we can, but we're pretty efficient when it comes to extra work, as in we don't usually do it. There's always the hope that it's happening and will happen more in the future, but lets just say, it was the first Honor's luncheon I've ever attended and I was very proud to be there.
Our next stop was naturally the BYU Bookstore. Where else can you find modest clothing for women, fudge, swedish fish and cinnamon bears, unlimited expensive Cougarwear, plus so many gifts and pretties that would make the home people so happy, oh and books, all at the same place? Not to mention all the memories of library breaks, trying to go at the exact same time as the last time I ran into that cute guy from sociology, and selling my $75.00 textbook back for $3.00. Good times.
After that is was picture time through campus. Everyone was brave and patient. I was happy as a clam.
When the fam felt we had taken plenty of pictures (We'd only just begun) we went to our appointed areas for the "event." Now I would like to address the crucial nature of cell phones and effective communication and knowing where your stuff is at events with tens of thousands of strangers who also are worried about where to park and where to sit and how to get with their people.
As we (Paul and the Ericksons) were walking towards the Marriott center I saw an old friend from MN so I stopped and asked Paul to stick with the Ericksons and text me their location once they were inside. I thought this plan was perfect. I had a happy, quick visit with my friend and then proceeded to the seat I was directed to by text on row twelve of the assigned section (behind the stage.) I saw no one I knew. After several texts back and forth I came to understand that my people were sitting above the portal about a million rows towards the ceiling. Being an opportunist I lingered long enough to get some pictures at this superior location and then climbed to the real spot where we enjoyed the excellent piano performance, speakers, and conferring of degrees.
On this topic I will jump out of chronological order to describe a small (potentially large) mishap of the next day's "event." Paul and I had just dropped Eliza and Joseph off to line-up for convocation. Paul was going to park the car and in a split-second decision I jumped out of the car to save a place for everyone. Of course I would be texting them my location. As Paul drove away a horrible thought occurred to me, "Where is my cell phone?" Of course I did not have it, because it was really important that I have it. I tried not to panic and thought that if I waited for Paul I would see him coming from the...some...which? parking lot. That wasn't working so I walked inside. Miraculously I walked right through the door to where Eliza and Joseph were lined up. Joseph called Paul. I got his location, snapped some pics and was on my way. Phew.
And then there were the times when Eliza gave me her car key, I put it in the pocket in my bag, an hour later she would ask for the key and I would reply, "I don't have the key." I always had the key, I just didn't remember having the key...bless my heart. Travelling.
Thursday night, the main event was the BYU-UCLA volleyball game. Paul was delirious with anticipation of seeing this game live at the Smith Field House, and the Cougars did not disappoint.
It was very exciting. I actually only saw the last few points. I like volleyball, but I'm not enough of a fan to want to spend the money to be there when I can watch it on TV. I passed on the opportunity and met up with some nieces and a nephew that I haven't seen for awhile and may not see for awhile longer. This was so fun. I love them.
The only down side to our trip was that because of our schedule I did not get to see my sister or my niece who had a baby a few months ago or cousins or aunts and uncles or friends that I love that live in the area.
Friday morning, Ericksons and Stokers headed up Provo canyon for a hike to Stewart falls. This was just what the Dr. ordered after a day of mingling with waves of strangers in a very small world. We had nature and space and quiet and good company. The hike to Stewart Falls is traditionally a favorite, but I was intimidated, (read terrified) to say the least when we started the trail and it was covered in icy snow.
My tennis shoes were just not doing the trick and I was wishing I had cleats. Being old, I was pretty sure I was going to meet my doom, but Joseph assured us that the rest of the trail was thawed. It was and it was beautiful and we saw a moose, and a grouse, and some nice wild turkeys on the drive home. Oh, and coming back was no problem as the women were practically carried over the still icy spot. ( I'm bragging, not complaining.)
Friday lunch was a picnic and frisbee golf in the park. Well, Eliza and I went for Mexican and shopping for a lei, 'cause graduating girls get a date with their moms. Convocation started at 5:00 pm. The poor usher informed me that he had worked 4 ceremonies that day. See? One 2 hr. and 15 min. ceremony is nothing. And we got to be with our family and listen to the guys behind us complain, and my daughter and her husband graduated, and we're so proud of them, and everything was just great. And we got to take a lot more pictures...which really is one of my favorite things.
Friday night. Paul's brother, John, and his wife, Stephanie, invited us to their home for dinner. We had been staying with them and their great kids. And then it was over. I didn't get to spend enough time with my sons, but we needed to get home. The word on the street is that Rebecca and Andrew stayed up til 3:00 on a school night writing papers, and a deadline was missed (there was a late pass back-up.) And Gabe played a lot of video games. The good news is that Gabe met his reading goal and got on the bus every day. The boys did a nice job of cleaning the house and Andrew was Johnny-on-the-spot picking us up from the airport. Some children felt relief and joy at our return, some children felt oppression and bondage at our return. (He's used to us now. Re-entry can be challenging.) Either way, homes need mothers and fathers and anyone who feels oppressed need not worry. There's plenty of freedom in your future.







No comments:
Post a Comment