Monday, October 21, 2013

Happy Birthday Mary

When this little blonde-haired blue-eyed girl was born, my parents wanted to name her Mary Kristen.  After thinking about it, however, they decided it sounded too much like "Merry Christmas" so changed her name to Kristen Mary.  We continued to call her Mary, well not really, a lot of the time we called her "Baby."  My mom loved Engelbert Humperdink, and his music was playing much of the time.  On one occasion, said artist was crooning away, and sweet little sister happily declared, "He's singing I love you baby!"  And well he should, because everyone loved this baby and everyone still loves her even though we call her "Mary."

She was what my mom described as "Bonky cheerful."  Now we know that what Mom meant by that was athletic, talented, kind and happy.  My Dad used to make up stories to help our behavior.  There were sisters, "Grabelda" "Firstina", something like"Selfishista" and "Charity."  I was pretty sure Charity was Mary and I was the other sisters.  I actually have other sisters who are kind, and I may not have been the only sister who was looking out for #1 at least some of the time, but little Mary was a stand-out.  She was patient and loving and fun, always making up games and activities for her brothers and sisters.

Mary puts the "holi" in day. Her siblings had it made and now her kids have it made.  A few of their fun traditions are summer camping, Back to school night, Christmas Eve date with her husband, super birthdays, and family movie nights.  Okay, you probably read right over the words "Back to school night" without even pausing, but I'll tell you.  What they do at the Jones house is fantastic.  This year Mary and Jeff dressed like Harry Potter characters and spent the whole dinner in character. The theme is a surprise to their children, and I can't even describe the details.  Maybe she can blog about it;)

I was 7 when she was born, so when I was in High School she was about 8.  This was a very cool time for me.  Actually this was a very grumpy time for me.  Little miss bonky cheerful was living the dream, and I may have had a lapse in gratitude for this blessing of a sister. We love to remember the day she reported with glee how she and her friend who lived across the street from the high school had gone over to basketball practice and stolen the players's shoes and put trash in them.  This was not as hilarious to me, as those were my friends, and I couldn't see this as anything but annoying.  She confessed that bugging my teenage self was actually one of her favorite activities.  I'm super glad I didn't kill her because she is one of my favorite people on earth and has been making my life better for many years.



One of my favorite of Mary's many gifts is her music.  Her mind is full of songs, the best songs.  I remember driving to a family reunion with her and Heidi and my aunt when she was in college.  She and Heidi sang and sang with the most beautiful harmony.  It was heaven.  When she came to visit young mother me she entertained my children with her happy music.  I couldn't believe her repertoire was so extensive.  I had her write her list of children's songs on a piece of cardboard so I could pull it out and sing to my babies. It was kept in my kitchen cupboard at the ready for a long time. She has composed  many songs for church programs and inspirational listening.  I'm just so proud of her.

Another highlight of life has to be at family talent shows when Mary and Megan tickle us with their ...hmm... what shall we call it?  Comedy Dance.  I looked back in the annals of talent shows and found this amazing dance number to "Love Shack."  This could be where it all started.

(See facebook for this video)


And this is where they've come and I love it so much.



Mary, thanks for being wonderful.  I love you..



1 comment:

Mary Jones said...

Laurie, thank you for doing this amazing blog for me and everyone else. You are so awesome! It really made me happy and tickled all day. That Love Shack routine made me believe in myself again as a dancer that is. Haha